Community discussions

MikroTik App

cylent
Topic Author

PPPoE Routing Drama

Mon May 24, 2010 2:32 pm

Ok this one is a difficlut one for me and I really am having trouble setting it up.

Basically what i want to do is the following:

setup a basic PPPoE server on my X86 Mikrotik Router system.
for each two users on the pppoe server I want them to be routed via a PPPoE out client account.

so for example I have group (A) which has two users ... I would want them to route through an account to the ISP via a PPPoE Out account.

What i have done so far is created a profile for the two users and in that profile I specified the proper IP pool and such

Then in the PPPoE out interface I selected the PPPoE profile to use.

Heres the problem: if group B logs on the router is automatically sending everyone through the PPPoE for group A. In fact even both PPPoE Outs are showing connected they are all routed through only 1 account for an exit.

how do i force Gropu A to stay on its own PPPoE out and Group B to be on its own?

roadrunner
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: PPPoE Routing Drama

Tue May 25, 2010 2:15 am

Since you have most of your traffic will be using the "b" pppoe-client connection to the ISP, set your "a" connection to not add a default route.

Then you need to get your two "a" customers to use the non default connection

Use /ip firewall mange to set traffic from your two "a" PPPoE users to go out your "a" PPPoE ISP connection. You can do this with a mangle rule to mark the traffic and a default route going out the a PPPoE interface using that same mark.
If you use NAT, then also create another src-nat masquerade rule with Src Address set to the IP's of the two "a" customers and the out interface of your "a" pppoe-client outgoing interface.

A similar setup with static WAN interfaces is on the wiki: http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Load_Bala ... e_Gateways
This example is using an IP block split in two pieces to do some simple load balancing, for your setup just put your two "a" users in one group and the rest in the other group, and change the setup to use PPPoE on the WAN interfaces instead.