MUM Europe 2020

econst
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

PPPOE server

Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:08 pm

Hi All,

I have setup a X86 system with 2 PCI NICs and a 4 port serial card.. At this time have configured one card as WAN and another as LAN. I configured DHCP on the LAN and can now connect to the internet through this router. What I want to to do with this box:
1.) Configure the box as PPP server for dial in users.
2.) Use it it as a bandwidth controller for the network.
3.) Configure PPPOE server to issue IP addresses instead of the DHCP server.

Pls advise how to do these. I have read the WIKI, but maybe I am getting to much info that I am confused as to what to do.

sergejs
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: PPPOE server

Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:18 am

Use the configuration example from here,
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:In ... ntrator.29

Unset IP address on the local interface, where PPPoE server is configured.

econst
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:15 pm

Okay. I can now connect to the PPPOE server from my WinXP client. I cannot however connect to the internet. I had configured the firewall on the LAN interface. I also noted that the NIC on my notebook does not get an IP address( there is a 169.x.x.x). Once connected the PPP connection get an IP address from the pool configured on the PPOE server. Am I missing something.

sergejs
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:15 am

If the address is assigned to your computer and you can ping router from the computer.
Make sure /ip firewall nat action=masquerade out-interface=PUBLIC_interface_name chain=srcnat is added to your router.

econst
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:45 pm

Okay. Just getting back to this system. I am now able to connect to the internet through the PPPOE connection on my notebook. The problem was that I had "out-interface=LAN" in the firewall. How does this work? I though that the NIC in the notebook was the one that going to get an IP address, but it is the PPPOE connection that obtained the IP address. The NIC has an automatic private IP address.

Now, how do I control the bandwidth for users? Can I create different profiles with different bandwidth limits, and then assign those profiles to users?

Thanks for your assistance.