Community discussions

MikroTik App

Jamesy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

rf amp question

Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:14 pm

I am looking at putting in a Teletronics # 12-101 900mhz 1 watt amp.

the issue is power. The solar panels which deliver are 60meters from the radio. The radios receive power over cat5 cable.

The amp requires a 9volt dc injector. Pushing 9volt over 26awg cat5 wire for 60meters doesn't sound like a good idea.

How can I get power to the amp at the base of the tower which is 60meters from its power source?

I'm worried if I get crazy and splice a piece of cat5 26awg the wire is going to get warm. I've thought of just using standard romex house wiring but that's ugly. Has anyone else gotten creative to power an amp on a solar facility?

Suggestions?

jwcn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: rf amp question

Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:37 am

Where are you located? Just want to make sure we're keeping things legal - there is no legal application for a 900mhz amp in North America.

Jamesy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: rf amp question

Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:42 am

Guess I'll have to rerun my numbers. I have a lot of cable loss but perhaps that's why I can't find a good 1watt amp around anywhere. Good ol United States. Hate to have to put the radio at the top of my extending mast tower though. Looks like a nightmare for maintenance. I'll figure something out.

Thanks though.