MUM Europe 2020

bigguns
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

'Routes' not updating on hardware change

Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:33 pm

Hi there,
I've got an issue with my personal setup at the moment. I've noticed should an issue occur where everything is rebooted and my network switches boot up before the RB; it seems they don't get any routing information from the RB.

If the RB boots up before anything else in the network then the system works fine.

My question is; should the switchs bootup first (or say RB loses power and reboots) how can I set the RB to send out new information?
All the switches in the network are DHCP set.

tricer

Re: 'Routes' not updating on hardware change

Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:46 pm

Hi there,
I've got an issue with my personal setup at the moment. I've noticed should an issue occur where everything is rebooted and my network switches boot up before the RB; it seems they don't get any routing information from the RB.

If the RB boots up before anything else in the network then the system works fine.

My question is; should the switchs bootup first (or say RB loses power and reboots) how can I set the RB to send out new information?
All the switches in the network are DHCP set.

your issue is your switches are set to DHCP, and I am guessing the RB is your DHCP server, without a DHCP server up and running your switches won't get an IP. With that said set your switches to static IPs. All network devices that control the network should have static IPs.

ditonet
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:52 pm

Hi,

Common problem with devices which boots faster than DHCP server.
Personally I prefer that every active device in my network has static IP address.
Does your shwitches fails without IP address assigned?
Or they are only inaccessible for managing purposes?

Regards, Grzegorz.

edit: tricer was a little bit faster than me :D
Grzegorz | MTCNA, MTCRE, MTCSE | konsultacje MikroTik Warszawa
It is a book about a Spanish guy called Manual. You should read it. - Dilbert

bigguns
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:35 pm

Hi thanks for your replies - I figure it was be a DHCP issue. The only reason why I wanted that way was simply if anything should break others can quickly change it over without too much fuss and worry (for thoses times when I'm not around).

Never mind I guess I'll have to do something to create a flow order on powerup.