Community discussions

MikroTik App

someuser
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

VLAN 1 bridge 1 interface 2 Hotspots

Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:20 pm

With 2 AP's (Wireless hotspots) connected to base AP via bridged wireless connection.
Is it correct that one cannot create a vlan with one DHCP pool (subnet) going to the first Wireless AP and
the 2nd DHCP pool (subnet) servicing the 2nd Terminal Wireless AP Hotspot via the same bridged connection?.
The Vlan is added to the same physical interface as the Base AP is connected to and given the 2nd DHCP pool.

fewi
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: VLAN 1 bridge 1 interface 2 Hotspots

Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:41 pm

Generally speaking VLANs are different networks and can have separate DHCP pools. I'm a little confused by your layout, can you draw a picture?

someuser
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:47 pm

Generally speaking VLANs are different networks and can have separate DHCP pools. I'm a little confused by your layout, can you draw a picture?
So attached is a pic.
I hope that clarifies.
So, I want to put 2 hotspots on the one box one interface. I read you generally do that, put 2 hotspots on one box.
I'm confused with the statment that VLAN packets? can't be passed to a station on bridged network? Something to that effect.

Disregard the erased boxes.
That's another Hotspot.

Thanks!
topo.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

fewi
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:24 pm

You can. You will have to make the following changes:

Make two VLAN interfaces, one for each Hotspot. One gets an IP address of 10.10.0.1/24, the other gets 192.168.88.1/24. You set up the Hotspots as usual but use the VLAN interfaces for them.
You need the switch you have to be VLAN capable. Both VLANs are tagged on the switch port linking to the router, and are also tagged to the first AP in the chain. On that AP you need to bridge the first VLAN over to the left chain of APs so that customers are on the first VLAN on the first Hotspot interface, and the other VLAN over to the other APs.

someuser
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:30 pm

You can. You will have to make the following changes:

Make two VLAN interfaces, one for each Hotspot. One gets an IP address of 10.10.0.1/24, the other gets 192.168.88.1/24. You set up the Hotspots as usual but use the VLAN interfaces for them.
You need the switch you have to be VLAN capable. Both VLANs are tagged on the switch port linking to the router, and are also tagged to the first AP in the chain. On that AP you need to bridge the first VLAN over to the left chain of APs so that customers are on the first VLAN on the first Hotspot interface, and the other VLAN over to the other APs.

EXCELLENT!
Thanks, I'm thinking optimistically. If I get a run on IP's at this upcoming event.
The second subnet will be nice to have.

So, WDS won't have any bearing?