Community discussions

MikroTik App

macosoft
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Hotspot with MAC login

Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:35 pm

Does the hotspot work if my network clients have static public ip's setted on they LAN?
I mean they will have internet access without login? (if I make a hotspot and add users for each IP/MAC)

fewi
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Hotspot with MAC login

Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:37 pm

To the Hotspot it doesn't matter if you have public or private IP addresses. If you have an IP address behind a Hotspot, you have to authenticate - unless your IP or MAC address (or both) is entered as type 'bypassed' in the Hotspot IP bindings.

macosoft
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:42 pm

OK, but why is used the address and mac address when I add a user to the hotspot and login by MAC in the server profile?

fewi
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:47 pm

I don't understand the question.

Are you trying to have people log in, or have them bypassed from logging in? Where does the server profile come into play? Server profiles govern properties of Hotspot server instances and don't have anything to do with single users as such. Can you post text configuration exports, or screenshots?

macosoft
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:07 pm

Thanx for your replies fewi! I need to bypass the hotspot for most of the clients, and for users who accidentally connect to my access point to have the hotspot login with information about how to be client in my network. :)
I intend to leave open my 2,4 ghz ap's for advertising.

fewi
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:23 pm

Set up a basic router (IP addressing on the interfaces, a default route, populate IP > DNS and allow remote requests there) and then go to IP > Hotspot and click the Setup button and follow the wizard.

For customers that are to be bypassed go to IP > Hotspot > IP Binding and add entries for their MAC address, setting the 'type' dropdown menu to 'bypassed'. Those people with those MAC addresses on their equipment won't have to log in.

Open up the file view and find the directory created for your Hotspot files. Drag the login.html to a computer and edit the HTML to reflect whatever you want customers not yet bypassed to see, and upload the file again to have it displayed to them.

macosoft
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:50 pm

For customers that are to be bypassed go to IP > Hotspot > IP Binding and add entries for their MAC address, setting the 'type' dropdown menu to 'bypassed'. Those people with those MAC addresses on their equipment won't have to log in.
1. If a client have a MAC address who is on IP bindings, but not the IP from that binding he will get the hotspot login page?

2. If I set the IP pool for hotspot between 80.97.140.160 and 80.97.140.170 and I set a IP binding for 80.97.140.50 (an IP who is not on the pool) and the client have the 80.97.140.50 set manually on LAN interface he will get internet without hotspot login page?

P.S.: I need to set jut about 20 IP's to be used for users who will connect via hotspot login page, and about 150 users will have to bypass the login page. How do I set the IP pool in this case?

fewi
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:57 pm

1. just set the MAC address, don't set the IP
2. the pool doesn't matter, what matters is the network on the interface the Hotspot is configured on. See below for the pool.
3. configure the DHCP pool so it doesn't overlap with static IP addresses already assigned on the network, I guess

You don't need to configure an IP pool on the Hotspot at all, by the way. When you run the Hotspot setup it'll ask for a range of IP addresses, those will be added as a pool for a DHCP server that clients that randomly connect to the AP without being permanent customers will receive dynamic addresses from. Make sure the range you enter isn't used statically anywhere else. The IP pool on the Hotspot is used for something called Universal NAT, which you probably don't need. Using a pool will cause everyone to use two public IP addresses, which is a waste of public IPs. Make sure you set the IP pool on the Hotspot to 'none'.

macosoft
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:08 pm

1. just set the MAC address, don't set the IP
But I need to have the IP and MAC bound somehow for preventing IP stealing between clients. :)
If I set in IP binding both MAC and IP address, the client should have both or it will provide internet access just with MAC and ignore the IP I set in the IP binding?

I already have a dhcp server with a pool called dhcp1 (80.97.140.160-80.97.140.170). Can I use the same range of IP's in the hotspot setup?

fewi
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:14 pm

Then setup both MAC and IP address, and both have to match.

Don't know. Try it. I never use the setup wizard.

macosoft
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:19 pm

I'll give it a try tommorow because I dont have access at night where the router is, and if I make something stupid I'll have some mad clients on my head till morning. :)

Thanks for your support fewi! I'll let you know if it's working. ;)

macosoft
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:52 am

I cannot setup a hotspot on bridge interface with public IPs. All my clients cannot connect to internet after setting a hotspot without masquerade.

Have anyone succeded a hotspot without masquerade?