Community discussions

MikroTik App

zimbofury
Topic Author

Server Cache

Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:43 am

Good Day

I run a small ISP in a small town cut off from most comms. I have a simple setup that goes from a satellite modem (10.10.0.1) to my cache server/firewall (10.10.10.1). Then from there it goes to a high site (172.16.101.1) which just limits the clients traffic and connections.

The problem is when I add a new client who would have a computer that has never connected to the internet before. They have no cached images on their computer and when trying to access certain sites (yahoo being the worst), the page would just be jumbled with text only and no images. I'm sure it is my cache server because when i have problems, i have my DNS set to 10.10.10.1. But when i use my ISPs DNS on the customers computer it will then bring up all pages 100%. I could just leave everyone with the ISPs DNS settings, but then it would just download from the internet every time and that would basically kill the satellite connection.

If there is anyone who has any idea what i could be doing wrong, your input would be greatly appreciated.

fewi
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Server Cache

Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:48 pm

The 'cache server' is malfunctioning. What exactly is wrong is kind of hard to tell without knowing some details, such as what that 'cache server' is, and with what method you get people to access it.

zimbofury
Topic Author

Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:19 pm

The cache server is mikrotik based and is a transparent proxy. Attached is a screen shot of the web proxy settings.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

skillful
Trainer
Trainer

Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:23 pm

Uncheck Always From Cache