Community discussions

MikroTik App

Nollitik
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Upgrading 450G to OS 4.16

Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:43 am

I followed the upgrade instructions and the router still showing 4.13.What has gone wrong? Please see shots below. Thank you.
1.jpg
1.5.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

fewi
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Upgrading 450G to OS 4.16

Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:12 am

You need to put the packages into the root directory. Also, only install packages you actually need.

While maybe not as clear as possible, here the manual:
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Upgrading_RouterOS
Methods

You can upgrade RouterOS in the following ways:

Winbox – drag and drop files to the Files menu
FTP - upload files to root directory
Specific answers require specific questions. When in doubt, post the output of "/ip address print detail", "/ip route print detail", "/interface print detail", "/ip firewall export", and an accurate network diagram.

Nollitik
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:36 am

You need to put the packages into the root directory. Also, only install packages you actually need.

While maybe not as clear as possible, here the manual:
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Upgrading_RouterOS
Methods

You can upgrade RouterOS in the following ways:

Winbox – drag and drop files to the Files menu
FTP - upload files to root directory
That was the instructions I followed...the drag and drop flies to the files menu. It loaded the files above the auto-before-reset-backup, so I had believed it was uploading the files at the root directory.

So, how do I get the files to the root directory? Also which files I need to eliminate and how to do that?

fewi
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:52 am

No, you dragged the directory containing the files into the root directory. Select the directory named all-packages in the File view of Winbox and delete it by pressing the minus ("-") icon. Then drag the files over into the root - not the directory.

Which packages you need is obviously up to you, and I cannot answer that question for you. Do you use MPLS or IPv6? If not, don't load them. As in, don't copy them to the root directory. If they're not there at boot they cannot be installed.
Specific answers require specific questions. When in doubt, post the output of "/ip address print detail", "/ip route print detail", "/interface print detail", "/ip firewall export", and an accurate network diagram.

Nollitik
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:05 am

No, you dragged the directory containing the files into the root directory. Select the directory named all-packages in the File view of Winbox and delete it by pressing the minus ("-") icon. Then drag the files over into the root - not the directory.

Which packages you need is obviously up to you, and I cannot answer that question for you. Do you use MPLS or IPv6? If not, don't load them. As in, don't copy them to the root directory. If they're not there at boot they cannot be installed.
It is a little frustrating. Is there a symbol or a drop down menu to select the root or am I to type "root" or should open the folder, select all the contents and drag and drop onto the file list?

fewi
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:09 am

Yes, open the folder, select all the files, drag them on the folder inside of winbox. Don't drag the directory the files are in, drag the files themselves. If you drag the folder the files end up in a folder that is in the root, which means that the files aren't in the root themselves.

I'm not sure how else to explain this.

changeip
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:38 am

check the log after reboot, it will tell you why it did not upgrade. maybe wrong platform of files or bad crc or something.

the upgrade happens upon shutdown, not startup, so dont just power cycle it, do a clean reboot.
Colo and Wholesale Bandwidth Available! Sales at SanDiegoBroadband dot com

Nollitik
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:13 am

Yes, open the folder, select all the files, drag them on the folder inside of winbox. Don't drag the directory the files are in, drag the files themselves. If you drag the folder the files end up in a folder that is in the root, which means that the files aren't in the root themselves.

I'm not sure how else to explain this.
Thank you, I finally got it. However, to share, once I had deleted the folder from the file list, it would not allow me to drag all selected files and drop. I had to launch Windows (I am using a MacBook Pro), open Winbox then drag the files. I then switched back to MacOS, launched Winbox and check. All was there.

I think Mikrotik should have a basic manual for beginners as more consumers discover their powerhouse router. Stuff like "root directory" is not on these new (non-tech) types of purchasers top of mind.

fewi
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:24 am

Ah, yes! Wine doesn't handle file transfers. You may want to get something like Filezilla (if you don't like the built in CLI equivalents) or anything else that does SFTP or SCP via GUI and use that for file transfers. Winbox works OK in emulators (or NOT EMULATORS), but it is an app native to Windows.
I do sometimes wonder if Mikrotik would be better off not marketing to SOHO users at all. The product is advanced, and expects you to have networking and sometimes systems backgrounds. For many users that's a very good thing, but new users are very frustrated sometimes.
On the other hand, the official manual is at wiki.mikrotik.com and while you can't edit the official manual you can make an account and write an article in the user contribution section that outlines in more detail how to upgrade, explaining these concepts to a level where you feel a complete novice would be able to follow. That way you can contribute back to the community and give future users like you something to read and follow step by step. That is, for better or for worse (in my opinion for the better) a corner stone of the Mikrotik support model. If you're not into network gear it's hard to appreciate how powerful these routers are for their price. Part of the reason is that there's not 500 people writing manuals that need their salaries paid every month.

marioclep
Trainer
Trainer

Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:40 pm

You should use fetch command (similar to wget in unix devices).
Just type in console:

/tool fetch address=download.mikrotik.com host=download.mikrotik.com src-path=routeros-mipsbe-4.16.npk mode=http

then reboot the router and it should be upgraded!

Regards
---------------------

Ing. Mario D. Clep
CTO - MKE Solutions
MikroTik Certified Trainer