MikroTik App

snoozer
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

limitation for 'import' ?

Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:07 pm

hello,

due to a missing decent backup and restore function in ROS i have to work with export and import. apart from the need to edit mac-addresses (or to delete them) and some other shortcomings i have now also discovered that i have to import in steps rather than the entire src file. what are the limiting factors here ? how can i determine in advance that an import will work in one go or not ? also the cli does not give me a notification that the import did not go through all the way, i have to guess where it stopped.

it would be nice to get some reliable info of MT on this. and i also request to have a backup and restore function that work in a way that makes sense so i can at least restore the config between same RB's or RB's with the same number of interfaces. this is annoying me since the day i started using ROS.

regards
Jan

Feklar
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: limitation for 'import' ?

Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:27 pm

Import and export works perfectly fine as long as you know to remove the MAC addresses and other proprietary information.

The only other real restriction is to keep in mind what version was on the router and what version is on the router you are uploading to. Some syntax things change in some versions, like around 4.10 they changed some basic DNS settings, so if you exported from an older version and try to upload it to a newer then the DNS servers don't take.

If you copy and paste in SSH, it will run through everything for you, and any syntax errors you get will be shown in the command line history. Just look at those and you'll see if something wasn't uploaded right.

snoozer
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: limitation for 'import' ?

Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:46 pm

hi feklar,

thanks for the info. but no it does not work all the time. it will work fine for a simple CPE config or even a less elaborate AP config and i have done it 100 times over....... today i had a more elaborate RB1000 config that i was going to import on a new router and it failed without any mentioning on the CLI. pasting into the terminal in winbox results in a rebooting router. if there is a syntax error i get shown in which line that is if i use import but it does not show me any errors if it is partially imported. the script is obviously free of specifics to the originating hardware such as mac-addresses etc.

Jan