Community discussions

MikroTik App

Pilgrim
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Help with RB411U - Touble shooting USB Modem connection?

Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:51 pm

I have two RB411U - one with routerOS 3.18 and a newer with RouterOS 4.11, now upgraded to 4.16.

I am using the routerboards with a Huawei USB moden to establish a 3G connect. Everything works fine in the old RB411U, but with same set up in the new board I have the problem that it just repeating the "initializing modem, Dialing, initializing modem, Dialing, initializing modem, Dialing........." I can't figure out what the problem is I have tried to set up the new board both manually and by copying the backup file from the old board to the new board.

I checked in system/resources and the modem is recognized and shows up the same way as on the old board.

What can cause this loop that the modem is constantly initializing / dialing - any ideas?

Thanks,

Pilgrim
Last edited by Pilgrim on Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pilgrim
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: Help with RB411U - Hardware problem?

Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:24 am

When I tried first couple of times this morning it still failed to connect. A couple of hours later I tried again and without having changed anything the modem connected. I tried to downgrade the new RB411U to RouterOS 3.20 and reinstalled the backup from my other RB411U running RouterOS 3.18 and it did not change anything.

When installing the old RB411U it connects without any problems every time. The new board however sometimes connect, but most it fails to connect and the log is just showing that the modem is being initialized and dials again every 1-2 seconds.

I don't know how to troubleshoot this problem. Any idea's please?

Thanks,

Pilgrim

WiFiTech
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Help with RB411U - Touble shooting USB Modem connection?

Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:07 am

I am not saying you didn't check. But I am unable to even get a usb connection recognition with my USB Huawei UM185C on x86 4.18 setup. I think my issue may is due to this model not showing as listed in the http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Supported_Hardware List. Also I have found that when you leave out some of these pieces of information, you don't get very many responses.

Pilgrim
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:19 am

@WiFiTech

Thanks for your comments. The modem is a Huawei E170 and it is not on the list as far as I could see. The modem does however work on my older RB411U and the issue was that I could not get it to work on a new RB411U, that I just recently bought. The problem is in the meantime solved. After I downgraded the new board to RouterOS 3.20 and made a new upload of the setup I got it to work. I am not sure what if it because the modem is not compatible with 4.20 or if there was something else. But it seems to be working now. At least I did not have any restarts of the modem where it did not connect.

My feeling was that it kind of re-dialed without waiting for response from the 3G network and I was looking to see if there was any parameters that could be extend the time waiting for the network to respond. But I never found anything like this in the settings.

rgs Pilgrim

mikko

Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:45 pm

I have had similar connection problems with a Huawei E160E usb modem. But it has done the same with windows too, so I think that is not necessarily only routeros issue.

I recommend to check if there are firmware updates to your modem. My e160e has worked much better after I updated modem firmware to latest version.