mxfull
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

log - reassociating , disconnected,ok , connected

Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:05 am

I have this problem

www.hellbani.com/dc.JPG

the "device" is router in repeater mode D-link dir300 with dd-wrt firmware...

dont know why., mikrotik all time disconnect d-link , and connect it fast back...

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: log - reassociating , disconnected,ok , connected

Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:13 am

what's in the registration table? maybe signal is very bad. also enable wireless debug logs:
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Wi ... Debug_Logs

mxfull
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:23 am

reg table

http://www.hellbani.com/signal.JPG

with debug ., now put rule..

http://www.hellbani.com/debuglog.JPG

on the other side is D-link DIR300 ., with firmware of dd-wrt ., but before that was " airlive 5460 " had same problems ;)

but with " linksys - tomato firmware " that DIR300 works good... not disconnecting ;)
Last edited by mxfull on Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:31 am, edited 4 times in total.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:27 am

what device is on the other side? could be that device which is having problems. also check debug logs like I suggested

mxfull
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:38 am

or maybe that isnt big problem ? ., its only 1 sec... on arilive was 10 sec or more... and that was big problem :)

SurferTim
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:13 pm

mxfull
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:09 pm

ok.,I putted in access list and nothing helped

http://www.hellbani.com/stilldc.JPG

but., with other wireless computer not that kind of problems...

maybe is it problem., because my DIR300 is in repeater mode ? (that device who have disconnects )

my Mikrotik is ap ., called " ulica "
my DIR300 is repeater on Mikrotik

one more thing... my Dir300 is on " 192.168.10.243 " ., mikrotik is on " 192.168.10.254 "
when in winbox I ping all time " 192.168.10.243 ( dir300) , then dir300 not disconnect
Last edited by mxfull on Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SurferTim
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:17 pm

Be careful with this one! I am talking about the station. That is the connect-list, not the access-list. The access-list is only for the bridge or ap-bridge.

This is my last response to this:
http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=49306
The station router is going to try to roam (frequency hop) if the signal on that frequency gets busy, not weak!

mxfull
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:28 am

ok., tried with connect list , tried with WDS ., not working... still disconnect every cca 30 - 50 sec...
only time when not disconnect is when I ping all time that router., or when I establish connection with that IP address all time...
as soon connection is over ( ping or download something ) , mikrotik start to disconnect that device ( router in repeater mode )

for wds I used this idea ( http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/WD ... o_MTik_WDS )

any more ideas ? :)

hmmm... suddenly wds start to work ( I think ) ., over 10 min still not disconnect and recconnect :O

SurferTim
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:48 pm

I am taking a guess from testing that "default-authentication=no" means "frequency-hopping=disabled".

If anyone has different results, I would like to know about it. Maybe there is more to it than that. ??

mxfull
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:25 pm

channels are fixed to 7 (2442 MHz) on all my network

but ok... now when I put wds in dd-wrt(dir300),and mikrotik automatic accept that and create wds, now only 2-3 times disconnect at day from mikrotik.. so thats its ok for me ;)

SurferTim
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:56 pm

The ap-bridge is "fixed" at channel 7.
The station will follow the ssid of the ap-bridge to any frequency in that band, even if set to channel 7.
If you change the ap-bridge to channel 4, I bet the station will follow without resetting the frequency in the station.

mxfull
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:58 pm

The ap-bridge is "fixed" at channel 7.
The station will follow the ssid of the ap-bridge to any frequency in that band, even if set to channel 7.
If you change the ap-bridge to channel 4, I bet the station will follow without resetting the frequency in the station.
station will not follow., in ddwrt ., you must configure right channel ., right mode and all., to connect.

like I say., I had that problem with any repeater that I tryed connect to mikrotik. airlive 5460 ., same problem in client or repeater mode...

ok ., here is all configuration inside ;

mikrotik :

www.hellbani.com/mikrotik/mikrotik.html

ddwrt :

www.hellbani.com/mikrotik/d-link-ddwrt.html

SurferTim
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:24 pm

I am unfamiliar with dd-wrt now. I used it for a while. I wrote a C code modification for Chillispot for them.

Here is a thread that has the AP and station view IF both are Mikrotik.
http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=48784
You can see that the station is not leaving (on both routers) because of bad signal, or one would say
"lost connection: extensive data loss".

I am not certain the Mikrotik AP is doing what it should. It may not be sending beacons often enough. In that case, maybe Mikrotik should look into it. All I know is the "default-authentication=no" on the station fixed it for me, but both mine are Mikrotik units. ??

ADD: OK, I went to dd-wrt. This would be the equivalent setup there. It is the wireless setup in Client mode.
On that same tab set the Wireless Network Name (SSID) to exactly the same SSID as your primary router you will be connecting to over wireless. Make sure spelling and capitalization match. Note: If there are multiple routers broadcasting the same SSID, and you would like to connect to a specific one (IE, the primary router, instead of the repeater), enable MAC Filtering on the Wireless Tab, and add the MAC Address of the correct Access Point. The MAC Address can be found on the "Site Survey" page, linked from the "Wireless" Sub-tab of the "Status" Tab. - Conjur
I see no reference to a frequency setting on the client router.
Here is a link to the whole thing:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Mode

mxfull
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:30 pm

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge

I have repeater mode., so must be same channel :)

but., problem is this., when I put any other router on my side (linksys,siemens,alirive,thomson,d-link,us-robotics ) and ( disconnect mikrotik as primari router), there is no problem with repeater mode...

because of that., I think problem is somewhere inside of mikrotik...

one more funny thing :D ., the dealer of mikrotik software in my country (Croatia) dont know anything how to help me LOL., here are no help 15 days when you buy software :(

SurferTim
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:44 pm

I think it is about time to ask Mikrotik support about it, so I did. I will let you know what they say.

mxfull
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:27 am

thanks very much ! :D ., I am not so good with english., so this help me alot :)

SurferTim
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:16 pm

I heard from support. They seem certain that "default-authentication" has nothing to do with the beacons and disconnects. Maybe they are correct. Could it be that all the noise or interference disappeared the exact time I set "default-authentication=no" almost 6 weeks ago?

They have asked me to set "default-authentication=yes" and see if the problem reappears, so I have. I do not expect anything in the log until this afternoon if the disconnects start again. The disconnects were only happening when that backhaul radio gets busy.

I will let you know what happens.

mxfull
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:10 pm

ya.. similar problems to me :)

with " default-authentication=yes " or " no " same thing... with WDS or not same thing... with all options I tried , problem is still here :D .. only thing to aviod problem with disconnect is to put another router ( not mikrotik )

SurferTim
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:53 pm

Here is the update: I tried setting "default-authentication=yes", and the disconnects did not return. ??

So, after weeks of troubleshooting, changing frequencies, radios, cables and antennas, it was apparently just an incredible coincidence that the noise/interference disappeared at the exact time I changed the default-authentication.

Since nobody else has reported any success with this, I recommend doing the same thing I did. Spend a few hundred dollars on new radios, cables and antennas. Then wait...

ADD: Just one more thing. I was informed by support that beacons are always sent. That is not exactly true. This is from the dd-wrt website:
NOTE There are no special rules for sending beacons, and they must be sent using the mandatory 802.11 carrier sense multiple access / collision avoidance (CSMA/CA) algorithm. If another station is sending a frame when the beacon is to be sent, then the access point (or NIC in an ad hoc network) must wait. As a result, the actual time between beacons may be longer than the beacon interval. Clients, however, compensate for this inaccuracy by utilizing the timestamp found within the beacon packet information.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Ad ... n_Interval

mxfull
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:03 pm

changing cables and antenna will not resolve nothing... like I say before., why when I put linksys router in place where is mikrotik, all is ok ;).. put mikrotik back, problems are back :). but nvm, that problem is still on my network, but its working... you can "surf" with that ddwrt router (d-link ) with that disconnects ;)

SurferTim
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:24 pm

Replacing the radios, cables, and antennas did nothing for me. The disconnects still persisted. That was just a weak attempt at sarcasm. :D

Mikrotik support keeps repeating that this is a connection problem. If it is, where are the "lost connection: extensive data loss" messages? Those are what I get on a weak or noisy connection. But I received NONE of those on this connection. NONE!!

Linksys/DD-WRT works well for you in this situation and RouterBoard/Mikrotik does not? Makes you wonder, doesn't it?

mxfull
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:15 pm

ddwrt - siemens sx763 works
ddwrt - USR8054 works
ddwrt - d-link dsl-2641B works
ddwrt - thomson TG782i works
ddwrt - thomson TG782 works
ddwrt - linksys wrt54gl works
ddwrt - d-link dl-624+ works
ddwrt - airlive 5460v2 works
ddwrt - airlive 5470poe works
ddwrt - ddwrt works
ddwrt - d-link DIR300 works
ddwrt - mikrotik work with discconects and connects ... so many times, so I am scared that router will explode of led blinking LOL

I had many routers in my hands, because my father have computer selling firm.. so I tested lots of routers :D .. .but ., buyed mikrotikOS because, all that routers dont have good QOS... linksys have silimar with tomato firmware, but not so good...

uldis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:47 pm

Replacing the radios, cables, and antennas did nothing for me. The disconnects still persisted. That was just a weak attempt at sarcasm. :D

Mikrotik support keeps repeating that this is a connection problem. If it is, where are the "lost connection: extensive data loss" messages? Those are what I get on a weak or noisy connection. But I received NONE of those on this connection. NONE!!

Linksys/DD-WRT works well for you in this situation and RouterBoard/Mikrotik does not? Makes you wonder, doesn't it?
BTW, have you tried to reset your wireless cards configuration and only configure the most needed settings, mode, ssid,frequnecy and check how it is working.

uldis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:49 pm

ddwrt - USR8054 works
ddwrt - ddwrt works
ddwrt - mikrotik work with discconects and connects ... so many times, so I am scared that router will explode of led blinking LOL

I had many routers in my hands, because my father have computer selling firm.. so I tested lots of routers :D .. .but ., buyed mikrotikOS because, all that routers dont have good QOS... linksys have silimar with tomato firmware, but not so good...
Could you tell us what configuration we should use to reproduce this issue? Maybe you could write to support with the configuration from that ddwrt and the support output file from the RouterOS.

SurferTim
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:57 pm

BTW, have you tried to reset your wireless cards configuration and only configure the most needed settings, mode, ssid,frequnecy and check how it is working.
Yes, a few times. I even replaced the wireless cards with a different model and more power. It made no difference. Only the default-authentication made a difference, and that apparently was just a coincidence. ??

I can't experiment with this connection. It is a working connection. I have over 350 paying clients on it.

I know I am a pain in the backside, and I will say it in public! But there is something wrong with the beacons. It is hard to believe that 20 beacons (10 beacons/second for 2 seconds) are lost and there was no "extensive data loss". ??

mxfull
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:58 pm

its not problem in ddwrt... before that I had all time
airlive 5460v2 in repeater mode to -> mikrotik ... had same problem with disconnecting ..

but I changed airlive., because when airlive disconnect it take 20sec to connect back to mikrotik.. and ddwrt reconnect after few milisec :) (faster router )

I can turn on teamviewer and let you to play with whole configuration all day :)

and., how to create " support output file from the RouterOS " ? :O what is command for that ? ;)

SurferTim
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:11 pm

Hi mxfull!
/system sup-output
It generates a supout.rif file in /file. You will need to use a ftp program to retrieve it from the router.
Then email it to support(at)mikrotik.com with a short explanation.
I've already done this with mine, but mine was already functioning correctly.

mxfull
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:02 am

hy Surf :)

www.hellbani.com/mikrotik/supout.rar

I download with webfig with firefox from router :D

ok.. now I changed few thing after last time (putted that wds , fixed speed of wireless to 5.5,6,11,12mbps and similar things).. shuld I simple give them this forum link with supout.rif ? that is maybe better :O

SurferTim
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:02 pm

You should email the supout.rif to support. They are the people that can evaluate the file for errors.

FWIW: I think the problem is not the station failing to receive the beacon packets. I believe it is the AP not transmitting them, or transmitting beacon packets that contain errors.

mxfull
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:27 pm

"

# If you have bought at least a Level 4 license, you can get limited support service by e-mail for 30 days after the purchase: support[at]mikrotik.com, if you obtained your license from a reseller - please contact your reseller for support

"

hmm... and those resellers dont know anything :D... what now :O

uldis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:41 pm

mxfull,
in your support output file I can see that the client decides to disconnect:
disconnected, received deauth: sending station leaving (3)
also you are using WEP which isn't so secure.

SurferTim
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:51 pm

mxfull,
in your support output file I can see that the client decides to disconnect:
disconnected, received deauth: sending station leaving (3)
also you are using WEP which isn't so secure.
Well, YES! Mine too! But it is not the station that is causing the station to disconnect. If you use "wireless,debug", you will find one of these three errors in the station log:
lost connection: no beacons received
lost connection: not polled for too long
lost connection: medium access timeout
and followed by "must select network".
From my understanding, the station should roam (frequency hop) under these conditions. These are all related to the beacons?

ADD: The message in my AP log uses "reassociating" not "deauth".

mxfull
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:39 pm

sometimes i try to turn off router, to see will help anything... but the most of time, he disconnect and connect by itself ...

I dont need security because have only that router in repeater mode and sometimes I come connect with laptop ( 00:1F:1F:49:9B:17 and 00:4F:78:00:FB:4E )

router which dc by itself is "F0:7D:68:58:82:43" and wds from that router is "F0:7D:68:58:82:42" ., and ip adress 192.168.10.243

SurferTim
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:09 pm

@mxfull: Thanks for staying with this! :D I don't have any DD-WRT routers to test, so that part will be up to you.

If it is not too much to ask, would you try an experiment for me? How does the connection do if you use a DD-WRT access point with a Mikrotik station? Same disconnects? Or do they stop?

mxfull
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:39 pm

hmmm.... That I can try., only if I can put mikrotik lvl4 in repeater mode ? :O ., dont know how to setup that... must see on google first :)

p.s. surf., do you know answer for this ? http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12961 , thats cheap wireless card... so can I put them in my mikrotik :D

SurferTim
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:06 pm

If you refer to the Compex card mentioned, the answer is it works "Perfect, Stable".
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Supported ... less_cards

Thanks again. Do this only when you can. I understand a person must work for compensation. This is free work, so treat it like that. That is why you will not hear from me much after 8AM Central Time. I have a company to run! :D

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:03 pm

Well, YES! Mine too! But it is not the station that is causing the station to disconnect. If you use "wireless,debug", you will find one of these three errors in the station log:
lost connection: no beacons received
lost connection: not polled for too long
lost connection: medium access timeout
and followed by "must select network".
From my understanding, the station should roam (frequency hop) under these conditions. These are all related to the beacons?

ADD: The message in my AP log uses "reassociating" not "deauth".
Hi Tim,
I go a long way with your thinking. But what about this: I have a router with three cards in it. Two of these have two stations associated. Both AP working mode card run 801.22a with nv2.
On EACH of the two card having two stations associated it is only one (and the same!) station that has the disconnection issue we discuss here. If it would be the AP not sending beacons, why it is he only not send these to one station only?

BUT, during playing with all kind of settings both radio cards of the AP suddenly saw the OTHER station connected to the radio developing the issue. The previously disconnecting link became stable....???
This again would point the finger to the AP? This swapping on the ´two station associated to one AP-bridge radio´ from one disconnecting station to the other in fact happened on both of the two cards in this router.... but with more then a day difference! Very weird.

What also struck me as being very weird is that the problem sometimes completely disappears for a whole day or night, just to come back the next day.

One other remark I would like to make is that all these ´stations´ connected to this 3 card routerboard are also AP's in themselves. So apart from these ´station´ cards with the disconnects these boards have another card performing AP-client for real client CPE stations.
Although the frequencies of these AP's are well chosen to stay away as much as possible of the disconnecting links the disconnects became much more less when I swapped some of the AP's to 10Mhz channels in stead of the 20Mhz default ones.
This makes me think nv2 is much more vulnerable for interferences or high noise levels. (but s/n is more then 35 on these disconnecting links)
It is also strange in this whole setup that the actually associated client CPE's on ALL subject AP's don't suffer any disconnects at all! Here the nv2 package actually increased stability and CCQ a lot.

SurferTim
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:36 pm

BUT, during playing with all kind of settings both radio cards of the AP suddenly saw the OTHER station connected to the radio developing the issue. The previously disconnecting link became stable....???
Does it become permanently stable? Or just for a while?

Let's say the OTHER station develops this issue because it is the station doing most of the transmitting. The ap is not sending beacons (connection management packets) due to the inbound traffic. The first station router disconnects due to lack of beacons. The OTHER station is the second to react to the lack of beacons and disconnects. Since the station with the traffic causing the lack of beacons has disconnected, the ap would immediately resume sending beacon packets, and the previously disconnected link (first station router) would become stable.

This will probably not be the cause of all disconnect problems. Just a few.

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:22 am

Does it become permanently stable? Or just for a while?
It happened about a week ago. The previous troubled link has never seen a single disconnect anymore, while the other station is now the one that gives less, but still present disconnects.
On the second main AP (rb333) radio the issue is back to the link with the station where it all started with.
Let's say the OTHER station develops this issue because it is the station doing most of the transmitting. The ap is not sending beacons (connection management packets) due to the inbound traffic. The first station router disconnects due to lack of beacons. The OTHER station is the second to react to the lack of beacons and disconnects. Since the station with the traffic causing the lack of beacons has disconnected, the ap would immediately resume sending beacon packets, and the previously disconnected link (first station router) would become stable.
Ok, I can see your argumentation here. Indeed the setup is a little different than most normal setups.
Normally one AP radio serves multiple ´station´ CPE's. But it only happens so often one of these really have big traffic demand for long times (Even the longest downloads stops usually after 2 to 3 hours.) So there would probably plenty occasions that the disconnect issue is jumping to another station at random so it looks to the monitor/manager that disconnects happen at random through several stations of that AP.
On normal backhaul links on the other hand it is usually only one AP-bridge or bridge functioning radio card connecting to one station.
Here a disconnection would not be caused by the reason you just explained. Simply because there is no other station that could disrupt the data stream.

But in my case I have a router radio engaged in a backhaul link, but that link actually has two ´station´ radio associated to it.
Now this would be equal two a two client only AP-network situation but it is not.

Since both station´s are just radio cards in a new AP, where the AP's second radio cards is ´talking´ with many CPE's the traffic demand coming from these backhaul ´station´ radio cards is much more permanent in existence then a single client CPE. But off course at times one AP has much more traffic to exchange than the other.
I do see that the ´station´ from the obvious ´biggest´ AP (most clients associated) seems to be the one having the issue.

More explanation:
That two radios in the rb333 forming two backhauls with 2 x 2 ´station´ radios;
On each of the rb333 backhaul radio's it is only one link giving the disconnection problems.
Now, the first backhaul radio of the rb333, call it AP-a connects to two remote ´stations´ in an AP box. Both AP's have almost the same amount of clients (7-8) and this is the link where the issue jumped from one of the links to the other, and back again after some days.

While the second backhaul radio , call it AP-b, from rb333, that also connects to two remote ´stations´radios in an AP box has one AP that is much ´bigger´ than the other. One AP serves only 3 clients while the other has almost 30.
It is the link with the busiest AP that has the disconnections. The almost idle AP is up and running for some weeks now.....

I have been reading some of your post regarding the ´default auth.´ setting in both AP and stations.
I always have AP maintaining an access list for all stations allowed to associate and the default auth. is disabled.
On the stations I always set the SSID of the AP in the connect-to list while the SSID is removed from the "wireless" tab in winbox / wireless / interfaces.
This has always been my working mode before (802.11 with RTS/CTS enabled and acting) for either MPTP as PTP setups. The disconnects only started after using any of the nv2 embedded wireless packages (I tried several version of the 4 and 5 family now.) So I don't think authentication is an issue here.
But to try one thing: I am going to replace the SSID in the ´connect-to´ list of the station to the AP's mac address. See if this makes any difference.

uldis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:14 pm

everyone that has problem with wireless stabilities (high ping times, big last-seen numbers, etc) when wireless-nv2 package enabled or v5.0rc installed, contact support@mikrotik.com for a new RouterOS v5.0rc12 which most probably will fix your problem.

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:29 pm

Anybody already having any good results on this?
I am a bit reluctant just to try this new rc12 on my production network...

SurferTim: are you still there or hiding under an umbrella eating jodium pills... :(

SurferTim
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:23 pm

@WirelessRudy: Are you kidding?
http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=50041
http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=31141
http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=49493
...and that is just recently! :D

This is not like fixing a bicycle. There is more than just a couple wheels and pedals. They (MT crew) are trying to fix the problem, but it is very difficult to debug some of this stuff unless we as users are more specific about the symptoms.

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:29 pm

I was referring to the rc12 package. The offer from MT is only made yesterday/today. I am wondering who already tried that package to see if it solves the problem.
Or at least it doesn't come with new issues.....

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:34 pm

Forgot to say, just send support some screendumps with supout.rif`s of two routers half an hour after the issue was around again.
Lets hope they find some clues in it. But I'm afraid we have to wait until tomorrow since its way after working hours now I presume for these guys of MT.

SurferTim
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:42 pm

Hi WirelessRudy! I do not see the problem as being Mikrotik. Show me one post where a forum user reported that it did or did not work. This has been one of the most frustrating parts of this. I offer suggestions, as does uldis, and then we never see a post about whether or not it worked from that user. Unless we get it together and help Mikrotik debug this, it won't happen.

I do not use RC versions. Stable versions only. I am now on V4.16.

I am pleased that you are interested enough to say something! :D

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:40 am

Well, maybe we have a connection.... once I was a (wind-)surfer boy! haha. many years ago.

Anyway, I have several AP's to cover an ´T´-shaped valley with all legs some 15km's wide.
But because I have no access to the high mountains around and the valley itself has small hills and valleys and I am not able to use high towers I have been forced to use several strategically located AP's. Since all these AP's also need backbones you can imagine I need several separated radio channels to stay out of interferences.
Due the same topology I also have many so called ´hidden node´ stations and since we are growint with a nice steady pace I started to look for ways to have better usage of these AP's.
´n´ protocol looked very promising in the beginning but apart from some backhauls I am not using it yet because of some repercussions in the use of available frequencies plus the fact it needs dedicated stations were the ones presently in use can't do ´n´. So financially this is also not feasable at once.
I was therefore so delighted the nv2 package came out.It would just serve me with all the things I was looking for. Better spectrum usage for all AP associated clients and even higher numbers of client per AP.

So since some weeks I started to use it and initially it worked fine on these AP's where I implemented the nv2 package. Sadly, after time problems started to develope, initially on some backhauls only, and a roll-back is just not possible due the growth of the amount of stations meanwhile which I can't afford to loose. (The normal package have now too many delays and latency on these AP's, only with NV2 is still works fine, apart from that new disconnection problem we have now..)

So, on several AP networks I am now trying several packages. Most have 4.16 with some AP's even the NV2 at work. But the issue is here with the rb133C's that have problems working with it.
So I already started to update many CE's to 4.17nv2 package and it looks like the 133C's to cope better with this.
I also tried some of the rc packages but to be honest not very succesfull. Tonight I just find a rb532A that I updated yesterday to rc11 is going completely bananas. AP is not able to maintain contact with most of the CPE's any longer so I am now creating supout.rif and a screenshot to send to MT and after that will move back to 4.17.

I really would like to see MT having the issue solved in the rc12 package. rc11 is not working....

SurferTim
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:46 pm

Just wanted you to know I am not just sitting around on the beach. :lol:
http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=50116

Are your RB133C's stations? If you look above, mxfull tried many devices with a different OS on the stations and had the same result.

I recommend if you send a supout.rif to support(at)mikrotik.com, generate them from both the ap and the station!

BTW, did you notice how I strategically waited a couple days before "bumping" this back to the top? I hope your answer is as well timed. :D But I must go...Spring Break is upon us here, and the beach is loaded with beautiful women! AND if ya don't buy your beer by 10am, the stores will all be out! Hope to hear from ya in a couple days! :D

wescamp
just joined

Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:22 am

Yes, i do not think that it is not the issue of radios cables and antennas. I have had the same problem and the disconnection is not caused by hardware. My problem before seemed to be a connection problem but it turned out to be an interference problem. Try unplugging some of the appliances that might cause signal interference and check if that is the cause.

SurferTim
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:55 am

Yes, i do not think that it is not the issue of radios cables and antennas. I have had the same problem and the disconnection is not caused by hardware. My problem before seemed to be a connection problem but it turned out to be an interference problem. Try unplugging some of the appliances that might cause signal interference and check if that is the cause.
Really? Then explain this:
ddwrt - USR8054 works
ddwrt - ddwrt works
All the equipment above worked without disconnects. If Mikrotik is used as an ap, then disconnects and connects...so many times... :?

ADD: If you get disconnects like this, then I would recommend the noise/interference check:
mar/19 19:21:35 wireless,info 00:0C:42:2B:9F:21@wlan2: disconnected, extensive data loss
mar/19 19:24:08 wireless,debug wlan2: 00:0C:42:2B:9F:21 attempts to associate
mar/19 19:24:08 wireless,debug wlan2: 00:0C:42:2B:9F:21 not in local ACL, by default accept
mar/19 19:24:08 wireless,info 00:0C:42:2B:9F:21@wlan2: connected
Note the reconnect is not immediate. It took a couple minutes to establish the connection again. The disconnects we are discussing here are not "extensive data loss", they are "no beacons received".

mxfull
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:02 pm

I stopped worrying about that :) ., nvm for disconnecting , its ok as long it works :)

uldis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:46 am

SurferTim, contact support@mikrotik.com for a new RouterOS v5.0rc12 which maybe will help with your problem.

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:05 am

Uldis, I have implemented rc12 on 5 AP boards now (plus some 133C client boards)
2 x 433AH and 2 x 433 and 1 532A. They all seem to run fine now for some 24 hours.

On one of the 433's the registration table doesn't show the distance of the associated client anymore.
It does it for its own radio being the station in a backhaul link but its associated clients of the AP have no distance showing.
But only one of the 5 boards have this...? Even after a second and third reboot.
Otherwise configs are sort of the same... Is this some minor bug?

I still am afraid to implement rc12 on my rb333 board. Since it is my last rb333 I have I can't try it out first on a desk. This one also serves some 5 backhauls with 60+ clients so I am a bit cautious after my last disaster.

Anybody having a rb333 with rc12 on it?

SurferTim
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:28 am

Hi uldis. Thanks for the offer, but I have mine under control. Still no disconnects. Since I can't get the problem to repeat itself, I can't verify exactly what the problem was here. But I know what noise and interference looks like in the registration table and the log, and that wasn't it. The reconnects happened WAY TOO FAST! And NO "extensive data loss" messages.

If I get a situation where I can't stop the disconnects, I will email support for the upgrade. I presume there will be a stable public release of RC12 soon, so I can wait for now. Thank you very much for all your help.

@WirelessRudy: Please keep us posted on how that upgrade does for you. Thanks for your help too!

uldis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:08 pm

WirelessRudy, please make the support output file from the unit where you don't see the distance and email to support@mikrotik.com

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:32 pm

WirelessRudy, please make the support output file from the unit where you don't see the distance and email to support@mikrotik.com
done

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:59 pm

Update (as requested by some! :-) ) on proceedings with rc12

Setup was:
One rb333 with 3 radio's
2 radio's have each 2 rb433(AH)'s as client.
1 radio has only one rb433 as client.

All clients are basically working as new AP's with several associated CPE's. (All MT)

Sunday upgraded 3 out of the 5 client rb433's that are associated to this rb333 to rc12. The others still on 4.16nv2 package.
rb333 still on 4.16 with nv2 enabled on all radio's. Did not update yet out of fear of problems again....

Today afternoon lost access of one tower. It is a rb433AH running 4.16. It's ´sister´ rb433AH associated to the same radio of this rb333 had no issues.
Looked in the log of the rb333; "disconnected, control frame timeout" for this rb433AH.
Off course, this disconnection still happened one, twice or some times a day. Usually the disconnected station connected immediately back. Not this time!

So, had to go to this distant tower to do a power cycle. That usually helps...
BUT, before going there I decided to finally upgrade rb333 to 5.0rc12. After all, its main associated station was now down anyway!
Updated rb333 from 4.14nv2 to 5.0rc12 with nv2 enabled and to my luck today, it came back up without issues (so far, its 4 hours ago now and still running..)

This upgrade, and the accompanying reboots didn't bring the lost station back up. I even tried some other settings and put def. auth enabled but to no success..

30 mins after the upgrade of the rb333 arrived at the tower and without touching anything just logged in to that ´orphant´ unit and to my suprice it was associated to that rb333 again some 10 mins ago!
Also looked in the log here to find the message; "lost connection, control frame timeout."

Made a supout.rif and checked everything and went back home. It looked like the rc12 package on the rb333 must have done the job!

But, coming back home after a while (an hour later) checked things and saw that although all 6 units (1xrb333 and its 5 associated clients) where up and running and the rb333 didn't show any problems I noticed that the up time on some associated clients was short.
Looked in the logs again and saw that this board that had this miraculous re-connect was disabling almost every so many minutes. Also found some of the other associated station had very regular disconnects.
I decided to upgrade the last boards still running on 4.16nv2 to 5.0rc12. So after this ALL 6 boards run the same rc12 (with upgraded firmware!)

But the disconnects just went on....
I then also found that all CCQ levels were really low, in the 30-50 range. While the signal levels where still all very good. The worst station was still having something lower then -55 on either tx or rx.
All links were set to data rates of 48M only (and basic rates too) which worked with 100% CCQ for the last week fine...

I started to set the data rates back to a level where my CCQ would come up again in the 95-100% range.
I found that I could only reach that by setting all the data rates (and basic) back to 18Mb!

So now all my backhauls run at 18M data rate with CCQ in the 90-100% range and I have not seen any disconnects for an hour now....

But backhauls doing only 18Mb? I hope MT finds a cure because this is not good! On 4.16 package they all ran at 48Mb with 100% CCQ.

Conclusion:
Upgrading 4.16nv2 boards to 5.0rc12 makes links stable (no more disconnects due control frame timeouts etc) but it cannot run at high data rates no longer.

MT, your read this or do you want it by separate mail to support as well?

JP_Wireless
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:47 pm

Times without numbers, so many support.rif has been sent on this mater but no reasonable response from mikrotik yet, if you look critically, we all are having same issue all over and we are just less than 1/10th of the people who cared to report or find solution to it, many have changed the radios to another make and continue life long ago. So my advice to mikrotik is, before another manufacturer capitalize on this and push them away, they should wake to the task and address the issue ones and for all or make categorical statement on the issue as to the cause and what they are doing about it.

I have stop playing around it bcos i have done almost every thing possible, change or even replace when necessary, now i have to get going by using another radios' contrary to my wish and i will not deploy any more mikrotik unless this issue is resolve completely, we all have been doing try and error on something that was designed and developed by somebody and he is not saying anything about it!

Common, we cannot be taken for granted like that. I want to hear from Mikrotik Final. :( :( :(

mxfull
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:23 pm

I think MikroTik team shuld buy 1 of router (airlive,d-link etc ) and test by them self repeater mode ;) .. so they can easy find where is problem ;) with that disconnects

uldis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:08 am

I think MikroTik team shuld buy 1 of router (airlive,d-link etc ) and test by them self repeater mode ;) .. so they can easy find where is problem ;) with that disconnects
please tell us exactly what kind of configuration on the airlive/linksys we should be using to reproduce your problem?

mxfull
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:01 am

airlive 5460v2 in repeater or client mode ;)... got dc with mikrotik

uldis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:26 pm

airlive 5460v2 in repeater or client mode ;)... got dc with mikrotik
Please send a report about this problem to support@mikrotik.com when we will try to make some testing.

JP_Wireless
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:40 pm

I adjusted the periodic calibration under the advance tab from the default to disable and the disconnect stopped! Will it resurface back? That I am yet to find out as i am still washing it for 2-days now and looks stable.

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:18 am

I adjusted the periodic calibration under the advance tab from the default to disable and the disconnect stopped! Will it resurface back? That I am yet to find out as i am still washing it for 2-days now and looks stable.
Are they still stable?
Did you set the periodic calibration on the AP only or also the station/cpe?

According ref. manual: " ´periodic calibration´; to ensure performance of chipset over temperature and environmental changes, the software performs periodic calibration"
According Wiki manual this setting is atheros specific.

Would be nice to know why, and how, this calibration is effecting the disconnections..? MT?

coffeecoco
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed May 02, 2012 12:33 pm

Guys I read this gentleman's Post and i gave it ago and OMG it tottaly!!!!! FIXED the issue!!!
All i did was disable apply, then enable apply default-authentication ?? chance? i think not, issue resolved yes!!
as you can see im excited, and i want to thank this guy for sharing, i would like to anounce that this has fixed my issue and i hope this helps someone else

Take care
I am unfamiliar with dd-wrt now. I used it for a while. I wrote a C code modification for Chillispot for them.

Here is a thread that has the AP and station view IF both are Mikrotik.
http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=48784
You can see that the station is not leaving (on both routers) because of bad signal, or one would say
"lost connection: extensive data loss".

I am not certain the Mikrotik AP is doing what it should. It may not be sending beacons often enough. In that case, maybe Mikrotik should look into it. All I know is the "default-authentication=no" on the station fixed it for me, but both mine are Mikrotik units. ??

ADD: OK, I went to dd-wrt. This would be the equivalent setup there. It is the wireless setup in Client mode.
On that same tab set the Wireless Network Name (SSID) to exactly the same SSID as your primary router you will be connecting to over wireless. Make sure spelling and capitalization match. Note: If there are multiple routers broadcasting the same SSID, and you would like to connect to a specific one (IE, the primary router, instead of the repeater), enable MAC Filtering on the Wireless Tab, and add the MAC Address of the correct Access Point. The MAC Address can be found on the "Site Survey" page, linked from the "Wireless" Sub-tab of the "Status" Tab. - Conjur
I see no reference to a frequency setting on the client router.
Here is a link to the whole thing:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Mode

JP_Wireless
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat May 05, 2012 5:32 pm

Are they still stable?
Did you set the periodic calibration on the AP only or also the station/cpe?

Yes on both.
According ref. manual: " ´periodic calibration´; to ensure performance of chipset over temperature and environmental changes, the software performs periodic calibration"
According Wiki manual this setting is atheros specific.

Would be nice to know why, and how, this calibration is effecting the disconnections..? MT?
Yes since it has to do with environment, i think it disconect during caliberation period (maybe not a friendly climate region) becos this particular links goes off and on at will unlike those that disconnect upon heavy traffic. I have others in other places that are working just fine even while we are experiencing this. So it might have connection. Although default authentication has always been set=no on all my point to point for for more security. So that might help too. but has been fine with mine.