Community discussions

MikroTik App

rooin
Topic Author

RB750G & a 802.3ad supporting file server

Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:21 am

Few questions in regards to bonding & data rate performance on the RB750G.

I recently purchased the router with ideas in my head for supporting different features on my home network that I've long wanted. One being 802.3ad support for my home file server.
I have a synology NAS that supports 802.3ad and was hoping to see improved transfer speeds if I utilized port bonding on the 750G. my network backbone, a 24p gigE switch does not support 802.3ad.

1) Will enabling a port bond eth 2/3 using balance alb to my backbone and a 2nd bond eth 4/5 using 802.3ad to my NAS increase total network throughput to it for multiple users? ex: if multiple devices are copying to or from the NAS, am I going to see improvement over 1gigE connection using 2 bonded ones via the RB750G?

If so: How do I accomplish a switched link between these bonds? I'm newer to this level of networking and I'm not following how I apply the local network to both bonds, there isn't a option to "slave" a bond, like you can eth interfaces.
Even if I won't see a improvement using this method, just for a FYI, can someone explain how 2 bond's are linked together on the same device? I guess if speed isn't increased, other then fallover/backup I can't think of another reason to setup such a thing, but I would still like to know to help turn the light on in my head.

Thanks in advance.

rooin
Topic Author

Re: RB750G & a 802.3ad supporting file server

Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:32 am

No feed back on this?

fewi
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:37 am

The first question you should figure out the answer to is whether your NAS can actually deliver more than 110MB/s sustained read and write speeds for multiple users simult. accessing it (which drives up time spent seeking). If the answer is no - which is fairly likely - then you won't gain anything at all from establishing a link that can theoretically transfer data at more than gig rates, regardless of what you link the NAS to.

Beyond that an RB750G can't actually route 1Gbps, or bridge it in software. 802.3ad isn't supported on the switch chip, so an RB750G won't be able to transfer data at those speeds. It can switch them fine between ether2 and ether5 on the switch chip, but that doesn't include bonding.
Specific answers require specific questions. When in doubt, post the output of "/ip address print detail", "/ip route print detail", "/interface print detail", "/ip firewall export", and an accurate network diagram.

rooin
Topic Author

Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:07 pm

The NAS is tested to perform up to 197mb/s speeds under the right configuration.
But way it sounds I wouldn't get near that performance on this Mikrotik board. Which answered my question, since its processed its not a switched speed. Leaving the single GigE link faster over all on this model.

Thanks for your feedback.