Community discussions

MikroTik App

utahflik
just joined
Topic Author

Switch ports in a 493G

Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:51 am

I have a client with a 493g with a 2.4 card. Internet comes into port 1. I have ports 2-9 plus the wlan in a bridge. DHCP server is on the lan-bridge I would like to have ports 2-9 switched but how do I get the wireless on the LAN? Also, the 493g has two switch chips and I need more ports than the either switch will allow.

kirshteins
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: Switch ports in a 493G

Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:09 am

You can switch ether2-ether5 and ether6-ether9, bridge together both master-ports and wireless interface.

krackpot
just joined

Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:00 am

You can switch ether2-ether5 and ether6-ether9, bridge together both master-ports and wireless interface.
Will doing this result in using the CPU or will they all be at switch speed?

I currently sacrifice two ports (one on each switch) to get the full speed. Is the way you posted better?

kirshteins
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:25 am

Traffic between switch chip groups will consume CPU resources, but the rest of the traffic will be processed only through the switch chip.

nsayer
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:27 am

Will doing this result in using the CPU or will they all be at switch speed?

I currently sacrifice two ports (one on each switch) to get the full speed. Is the way you posted better?
The two switch chips are wired to different physical sets of ports. You can only switch (at wire speed) ports that are on the same switch chip. You should try and lay out your devices with this in mind, if at all possible. In my case, I need to bridge/switch ports 2 through 7 together, but two of those ports have only a single device each that do relatively little, so putting them on the wrong side of a bridge is not a big deal.

So in my case, the master-port of Ethernet's 3,4 and 5 are set to ethernet 2. Ethernet 2, 6, 7 are connected to a bridge, and the bridge interface gets an IP configuration for the inside LAN. Ethernet 9 has a master-port of 8 and 8 is bridged to an L2TP bridge link off-site.