Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

Pepper87
just joined
Topic Author

Use RB1200 as a switch since I can't do QOS

Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:52 pm

I am getting tired of trying to prioritize VoIP whether its through vlan or high priority queues as I just don't know what to do here. I can't seem to find the tos/dscp values for the Mitel 5220's or any other way of prioritizing VoIP on my mikrotik router so instead I am thinking...

Use ether1 for WAN1, ether2 for WAN2. Put them both on their own vlans. Use ether6 for LAN1/2 tying together both WAN connections. Make pfSense box router/gateway on ether6. Then configure pfSense to do QOS, port forwarding and everything else. I'd just want the RB1200 as a bridge.

Anyone have understandable instructions as to how to do this?

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Use RB1200 as a switch since I can't do QOS

Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:18 am

I am getting tired of trying to prioritize VoIP whether its through vlan or high priority queues as I just don't know what to do here. I can't seem to find the tos/dscp values for the Mitel 5220's or any other way of prioritizing VoIP on my mikrotik router so instead I am thinking...

Use ether1 for WAN1, ether2 for WAN2. Put them both on their own vlans. Use ether6 for LAN1/2 tying together both WAN connections. Make pfSense box router/gateway on ether6. Then configure pfSense to do QOS, port forwarding and everything else. I'd just want the RB1200 as a bridge.

Anyone have understandable instructions as to how to do this?
If you want a rb1200 as a very expensive bridge, just bring all ports in the bridge and that's it. (Do you also buy F1 race car to do your shopping around the corner?) :(
Show your appreciation of this post by giving me Karma! Thanks.

Rudy R. Puister

WISP operator based on MT routerboard & ROS.

Pepper87
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:25 am

Easier said than done. Would you happen to have a short walkthrough available for this?
I just don't want to buy more equipment so this will have to do.

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:00 am

Well, basically said, to prioritize certain traffic you need to set up some processes:
1. Identify the traffic. Can be done by many identifiers like src or dst port, src or dst address, protocol, L7 matcher etc. Voip has certain ports so that is easy.
2. If traffic is identified you have to mark it.
3. Now you have to setup queues that uses these marks to give certain traffic higher priority level than other.

1. and 2. is done by the mangle filter, use either the pre-routing or the forward chain.
3. is done in the Queue section.

This all looks pretty simple, but it is quite some work to really set it up. This is special a field you either have to spend some money to hire someone it to do it for you, or you spend some time to learn and do it yourself.

I suggest you search and read a bit around on this forum and in the MT manual otherwise you'll never understand what you are doing.

Rudy R. Puister

ditonet
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:03 am

First of all identify and mark your VOIP traffic
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:IP/Firewall/Mangle
then prioritize it over other trafic
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Queue

HTH,

edit: Rudy was faster than me :)
Grzegorz | MTCNA, MTCRE, MTCSE | konsultacje MikroTik Warszawa
It is a book about a Spanish guy called Manual. You should read it. - Dilbert

skachy
just joined

Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:24 pm

Hello

Thanks for posting this. I have just one question. What is the difference between the prerouting and forward chain when setting up mangle to mark packets for voip connection ?

thanks

Jakub

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:52 am

Hello

Thanks for posting this. I have just one question. What is the difference between the prerouting and forward chain when setting up mangle to mark packets for voip connection ?

thanks

Jakub
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Packet_Flow

Rudy R. Puister