MikroTik App

ulink
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

First Network. Your Suggestions

Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:48 am

Hello
Pre-planning a network I would like to deploy. Looking to the experts on this forum for some pointed direction. Below is the initial design:

Looking for the following hardware input:
A cost efficient router for up to 500 subs
A cost efficient switch for up to 8 AP's with ports to spare
Thinking a proxy server is helpful for caching. Your suggestions
A good POE source for ubiquiti Airmax AP's

Looking for input on how to configure the Mikrotik router for:
Multiple ISP failover
QOS for data and voice
VLAN's that provide voice and data traffic between locations with QOS support
Redundant AP programming

Which protocols should I begin investigating to achieve the design? Is there additional hardware I need to consider?

Thanks for your time and expertise.

JJOliver998
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: First Network. Your Suggestions

Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:25 pm

Hi,

This sounds like a big project, as you have asked for the 'pros' for help, and are designing something on a large scale presumably for a company setup I would suggest looking to hire a mikrotik consultant (I am not one!).

Your question is quite a daunting one and not particularly specific enough for people to help you with. For example, you say 'cost effective', put you haven't put a $ to that. How can we judge what is cost effective for you.

Whilst you have listed some criteria for what you are trying to achieve, and saying 500 clients doesn't help. What bandwidth are you looking for them all to share? What is your expected load. (I have installed and managed a 500 site mikrotik network but only sharing a 100KB satellite link, so the power needed across the network was low and the 'core router' and 'core switch' was one and the same device (RB450g), and have installed and managed a SOHO network for a networked render farm which needed a much larger and more powerful router / switch combo for just 10 machines as the throughput for 3d rendering is somewhat different).

All this, a consultant could talk through with you at length (which you will end up paying for), and that will really help you.

Again this is more than beginner basics, as it would appear that you are trying to active a professional solution to a large network infrastructure.

I don't mean any offence with this post, but all that was to say, that maybe this is why there isn't a response yet.

JJOliver998

ulink
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:53 pm

Thanks for taking a moment JJOliver. I have attempted to contact 3 separate consultants at his point but no success in getting a response back. If you have a suggested contact or a resource that you can pass on I would appreciate it.

JJOliver998
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:06 pm

Sorry about that.

I don't know anyone as such, perhaps if you start a new thread simply saying you are looking for a consultant you may get some responses.

JJOliver

cbrown
Trainer
Trainer

First Network. Your Suggestions

Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:57 pm

Thanks for taking a moment JJOliver. I have attempted to contact 3 separate consultants at his point but no success in getting a response back. If you have a suggested contact or a resource that you can pass on I would appreciate it.
You didn't contact us.

But I agree this might not be something you want to try to tackle alone.