Community discussions

MikroTik App

TDPsGM
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Assigning Static IP's & Client ID's

Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:34 pm

I am trying convert all my settings from my old router to the new one (specifically the Static IP settings).

The issue that I am having is that I don't really understand the Client ID part of it.

Question 1: How does the Client ID get determined, and can I not manually edit it?

It seems that if it is anything other that what the Router decides it should be it doesn't actually accept the static setting. (see Client-ID.gif attached)
(I know it is currently blank, but what you see there is what it is no matter what "I" actually put in there)

Question 2: I am not sure if this is related at all or not, but here it goes . . . I also have 2 Netgear G108E's in my network. Do they not get assigned IP's as well, and why don't I see them show up on any of the DHCP lists?

Thanks again for any help you can give.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sadeghrafie
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: Assigning Static IP's & Client ID's

Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:59 pm

Q1: Check your knowledge with http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:IP/DHCP_Server
Caller Id is not too important in basic setting.

Q2: Do the two Netgear Layer2 device? if yes, check whether they accept IP form DHCP server or not.

TDPsGM
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:22 pm

Thanks for the response. I appreciate the help.
Q1: Check your knowledge with http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:IP/DHCP_Server
Caller Id is not too important in basic setting.
I sort of figured that the Client ID was not that important, but for some reason that I don't understand yet if I don't have it in there, OR, don't have the one that is created by the router itself, then I can't assign a static IP to a device defined by it's MAC. The status just stays as "Waiting" as per the image I have included.

I've looked over the link you sent and I don't see where it is on the page that it addresses the Client ID with regards to what it is I am trying to do. Could you clarify it for me please?
Q2: Do the two Netgear Layer2 device? if yes, check whether they accept IP form DHCP server or not.
I believe they are Layer 2 but I'll have to check. They DO accept an IP as assigned by the router, it is just that I can not see it in the routers list of IP's that have been handed out. That is probably due to my lack of knowledge regarding exactly what Layer 1,2 &3 are and how they work. I've seen them mentioned in passing but have not given it much thought until now.

The Switches by netgear have a program you use to access them and to adjust (among other things) the setting the "Static" IP. I just can't see it in the router when I go look to see if the router gave it to the switch, and therefore I can't 'reserve' that IP for the switch, especially if I don't know what the Client ID is going to be - - - which ties to my original question regarding the Client ID and not being able to set it and have the status be 'bound' as in the image I have sent in the original post.

Your assistance would again be appreciated.

Thanks

sadeghrafie
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:33 pm

Sorry, I have to go now but for tomorrow I am able to answer you.
BTW, i have this working.
See the user which No client ID
DHCP.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TDPsGM
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:11 pm

I do, but the IP is being delivered by the Router Dynamically. Dynamic=yes
Try setting the the IP to an IP of 'your' choosing and tell me what happens.

Thanks for the reply!

sadeghrafie
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:21 pm

Did you check Your Interface arp property? May be it is set to reply-only and the the MAC address of your client which add static IP is not in the arp entry!!

And this is mine:
DHCP2.gif

TDPsGM
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:58 am

Did you check Your Interface arp property?
Where would I do this exactly?

Thanks again for the help.

fewi
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:09 am

Linking to your other thread about the same topic so people trying to help you out don't duplicate efforts all over the place: http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=56987