Community discussions

MikroTik App

asuz
Topic Author

Bridged network

Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:27 pm

I am trying to make a wireless system as below, please guide me how, as you see I want that whole system must be at the same ip range which my dhcp server give. Please help me one by one I am newbee.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sadeghrafie
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: Bridged network

Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:36 pm

just create a bridge in RB493G and add wlan1 and wlan2 to it
/interface bridge add name=bridge1
/interface bridge port add interface=wlan1 bridge=bridge1
/interface bridge port add interface=wlan2 bridge=bridge1

asuz
Topic Author

Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:03 pm

just create a bridge in RB493G and add wlan1 and wlan2 to it
/interface bridge add name=bridge1
/interface bridge port add interface=wlan1 bridge=bridge1
/interface bridge port add interface=wlan2 bridge=bridge1
I make wlan1 station mode but what about wlan2 ? ap bridge or just bridge or something else

sadeghrafie
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:20 pm

I think AP bridge will not make a transparent bridge, but try with ap-bridge and check whether the DHCP requests work or not?
I myself have some misunderstandings in Wireless modes http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=56518
But I think the bridge should works well as L2 bridge

It is also useful http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Wi ... tion_Modes
in there
Mode station
This is standard mode that does not support L2 bridging on station - attempts to put wireless interface in bridge will not produce expected results. On the other hand this mode can be considered the most efficient and therefore should be used if L2 bridging on station is not necessary - as in case of routed or MPLS switched network. This mode is supported for all wireless protocols.
so you need to change the wlan1 to station wds
For wlan2, I'm not sure but let me take atour on wiki :)

sadeghrafie
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:25 pm

http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Interface/Wireless
AP modes:

ap-bridge - Basic access point mode.
bridge - Same as ap-bridge, but limited to one associated client.
wds-slave - Same as ap-bridge, but scan for AP with the same ssid and establishes WDS link. If this link is lost or cannot be established, then continue scanning. If dfs-mode is radar-detect, then APs with enabled hide-ssid will not be found during scanning.
Still searching :)

sadeghrafie
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:39 pm

I have a question, Why do you want to have a bridge network like this while you can separate broadcast domain?
If the point is access users to Internet, in first router add some new rule (NAT) to allow the other users with different IP access the Internet.

asuz
Topic Author

Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:54 pm

I have a question, Why do you want to have a bridge network like this while you can separate broadcast domain?
If the point is access users to Internet, in first router add some new rule (NAT) to allow the other users with different IP access the Internet.
Because there is security cameras to connect,is there a solution to connect a security camera at 192.168.1.4 from 192.168.2.3 ?

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:58 am

Because there is security cameras to connect,is there a solution to connect a security camera at 192.168.1.4 from 192.168.2.3 ?
Yes off course. That's called "routing". That's what a router is made for.

Regarding the use of a routed network or bridge is more an issue of the traffic demand and available capacity of the routers.
In a broadcast domain all traffic goes to all nodes. Thus if many units in the same network produce a lot of traffic (Camera's!) it is almost asking for delays in the network due capacity issues (collisions).
But for relative small networks with not so much traffic it is an easy way to make things work by using a fully bridged environment.

One of the disadvantages of bridging is also that bridged unit are transparent and for troubleshooting it is more difficult to find where things go wrong.

asuz
Topic Author

Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:26 am

Yes off course. That's called "routing". That's what a router is made for.

Regarding the use of a routed network or bridge is more an issue of the traffic demand and available capacity of the routers.
In a broadcast domain all traffic goes to all nodes. Thus if many units in the same network produce a lot of traffic (Camera's!) it is almost asking for delays in the network due capacity issues (collisions).
But for relative small networks with not so much traffic it is an easy way to make things work by using a fully bridged environment.

One of the disadvantages of bridging is also that bridged unit are transparent and for troubleshooting it is more difficult to find where things go wrong.
OK, dude, it seems i need to read more :) where should i begin ?

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:39 am

sadeghrafie
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:57 am