MikroTik App

daviddem
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Hotspot equivalent of the FORWARD chain

Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:19 pm

Hello,

I am a noob and a bit confused by the filter chain traversal of the packets of the hotspot authenticated clients.

In a normal basic setup, the packets not directly destined to or originated from the router traverse the FORWARD chain. So basically packets to and from clients traverse the FORWARD chain, regardless of protocol, port, etc

What happens with the packets to/from authenticated clients of a hotspot? What is then the equivalent of the FORWARD chain? For example if I want to set some layer 7 filter rules (which have to "see" both sides of a connection) applicable to my hotspot authenticated clients, where should I place them?

fewi
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Hotspot equivalent of the FORWARD chain

Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:26 pm

It's either still in the forward chain or got redirected to the Hotspot acting like a proxy and got torn into two connections, which makes it impossible to run a layer 7 filter on the traffic. Redirected traffic includes SMTP and HTTP.

Tough you can restore traffic flow for authenticated clients via this:
/ip firewall nat add chain=pre-hotspot hotspot=auth dst-address-type=!local action=accept
That doesn't exempt non-authenticated clients including bypassed ones, though. Those are impossible to change flow for.