MikroTik App

leiw
just joined
Topic Author

newbie questions

Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:24 am

Hi,

I have few questions:

1. Can I install RouterOS 5.8 on P3 machine for switch features ? or I have to buy RouterBoard ?

2. Is it support L3 switch features ? such as VLAN routing ?

3. Could someone share experience on enterprise and school RouterOS solution ?

Thanks !

fewi
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

newbie questions

Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:41 pm

1. Pentium IIIs don't have switch chips. Therefore they won't be acting as switches in hardware.
2. Not on the switch chip. But you can of course have VLAN interfaces in software on the router and route between them.
3. It works reasonably well. It works extremely well for the price. It doesn't have the same level of support, roadmaps, documentation, and warranties as other enterprise vendors. It costs a fraction of those vendors. That is your trade off.

leiw
just joined
Topic Author

Re: newbie questions

Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:09 am

1. Pentium IIIs don't have switch chips. Therefore they won't be acting as switches in hardware.
2. Not on the switch chip. But you can of course have VLAN interfaces in software on the router and route between them.
3. It works reasonably well. It works extremely well for the price. It doesn't have the same level of support, roadmaps, documentation, and warranties as other enterprise vendors. It costs a fraction of those vendors. That is your trade off.
Hi fewi,

1. So I have to buy RouterBoard that include switch chip for switch feature, even inter VLAN routing ?

3. What environment are you using RouterOS ?

Thanks !!

fewi
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:32 am

1. The switch chip switches on layer 2. It doesn't route. You can switch (at layer 2) at wire speed on the switch chip. You can route between VLANs in software.

3. I used it in a service provider setting. If you want a sales pitch you should get in touch with sales@mikrotik.com.

In my opinion these make fairly poor switches. The switch chips are very limited. They make great routers, though. Buy proper switches to switch traffic (bridge it at layer 2). Use RouterOS to route.

leiw
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:28 pm

1. The switch chip switches on layer 2. It doesn't route. You can switch (at layer 2) at wire speed on the switch chip. You can route between VLANs in software.

3. I used it in a service provider setting. If you want a sales pitch you should get in touch with sales@mikrotik.com.

In my opinion these make fairly poor switches. The switch chips are very limited. They make great routers, though. Buy proper switches to switch traffic (bridge it at layer 2). Use RouterOS to route.
Thanks !