Community discussions

aweboy
just joined
Topic Author

How to Block Tirrent alike utorrent, lime wire etc.

Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:04 am

I was performed all tricks to block torrent in mikrotik but there is no result..
I think Mikrotik CAN NOT drop torrent... the torrent still run happily..
Please help me to solve this problem..
in my network there are many user uses utorrent to download a big data...
Please help me... :(

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: How to Block Tirrent alike utorrent, lime wire etc.

Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:07 am

what is the problem exactly? if your torrent users are consuming bandwidth of others, give them a speed limitation with queues. you can give them limited bandwidth amount, limited speed, or cut off their service if using torrents is against their agreement. Maybe you are solving the issue from the wrong end.
No answer to your question? How to write posts

karlos
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:51 pm

neticted
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:48 am

Whatever you try you canont stop all torrents as when it uses encription it is unrecognizable.

What you can do:

- allow known traffic and limit all that is unknown. That would influence torrents.

- limit number of connections per user. That would prevent most hurtfull behaviour of torents - opening far too much connections at a time, cludging a link.

n21roadie
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:51 am

I agree with Normis if you trying to just block torrents I don’t think you can be successful in this, your customers while on your network are going to download, if your clients are excessively downloading then first I would suggest keeping a log of downloaded bandwidth used over a period, you could charge for the excess bandwidth consumed if you have a set bandwidth allowance in the agreement, is the downloads by the person who is paying for your service or could it like in many households the “kids” who are downloading in that case a word with the bill payer about the extra cost solves the problem, or is the downloads at peak usage hours when all of your clients are also using the internet , I use http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Limit_Dif ... _and_Night and this script kicks in daily at 5pm to 11pm reduces the speed down on the high downloaders and have a clause in your agreement to do this if required, I don’t try to block torrents and besides not all torrents are bad, if all else fails disconnect the customer and let it be a headache for some other provider.
N21roadie,
Network 100% MT for Now?

nmthaker
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:51 pm

Hi,

I want to setup something where i want to give 25% speed of total speed to torrent, can you please advice how can we able to do this ?

Nishit

mgutz2
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:50 pm

put a pfsense server

n21roadie
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:29 pm

@nmthaker
If you want to give just 25% to torrents I assume it can be done but may not cover all types of torrents and unless you can have this filtering on the customers CPE then having this filtering on your network will cause a slowdown (?) as all the packets are checked if they are torrents or not and will probally effect all customers and not just the ones who downloading torrents?
My approach is more aggressive in which i effect only the torrent users, I slowdown the CPE of those and it effects all their downloads they have to choose torrents or normal browsing + streaming but not both and remind them there is 24hrs in a day and download during off peak network usage, this way they can get faster speeds off peak and keeps almost all of my customers happy.
N21roadie,
Network 100% MT for Now?