Community discussions

nikos
just joined
Topic Author

WISP Setup with RB450G Please help!!!

Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:47 am

Hi All!!!
I am planning to setup a small WISP for 100 customers within 6 km range. I like to use use RB450G as hotspot server with UserManager and Radius to control my customers.My radios is 4 pcs Rocket M5 with panel antennas.

My question is: How to connect correctly my radios to RB450G and run hotspot with UM and Radius???

There is some my ideas but i am not really sure for this.
1. Run single hotspot, switch the ports and attach my radios directly to the RouterBoard.
2. Run multiple hotspots with single address pull for each lan port.
3.Use switch for radios.
Or ??? Please advice how to make best setup?

Thank you in advance!!!

leoktv
Trainer
Trainer

Re: WISP Setup with RB450G Please help!!!

Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:37 am

Hi Nikos

Your first problem are going to be that RB450G only have L5 license with max 50 users online in the UM and the way users use internet today is to be online 24/7.

If you use a extern Radius then it is no problem as you can have 500 users online in the hotspot.

To setup the hotspot first time folow the example in this link http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Hotspot
Office: +46 325 660 650

nikos
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:55 pm

Thank you for response!!!
Then i go to buy RB1200 ,there is an option to switch ports and attach directly my radios or there is any other way to do????
I know how to run hotspot with Radius and UM ,but i don't really know how to make reachable for my 4 radios.
Please advice !!!
Thank you in advance

leoktv
Trainer
Trainer

Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:18 pm

HI
You have 2 options.
1 bridge the amount of needed interface and use the bridge as your hotspot interface

2 use the master port option under general of x amount of interface and use the master port as your hotspot interface
Office: +46 325 660 650

tyronzn
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:20 am

-First step is to go and buy yourself the Routerboard 1100AH
-Dont use hotspot,rather use pppoe authentication
-then buy yourself a decent radius server www.dmasoftlab.com
-Dont bridge your network,created a routed network and implement OSPF

that should get you going for a long time

nikos
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:50 pm

Thank you guys for your helpful posts !!!
I really appreciate your advices.
If you have any more good network architecture, please share,help me to build best and stable WISP network.
I will go for MK RB1200 as main router and will use internal UM and Radius. My radios AP RocketM5/ Ptp Links Grids/NanoBridges/CPEs NanosM5 Ubiquiti products.

Best regards,
Nikos,

tyronzn
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:08 pm

The built in UM is not ideal for a wisp,rather get a proper radius server as recommended above.My suggestion for ptmp is shy away from the ubiquiti Rocket M5's,they great for backhauls but i've had nothing but trouble with them as Access Points on Highsites.Rather use dbii mini pci cards in a routerboard,the Ubiquiti cpe devices such as the loco's and nano's are fine.

As far as wireless backhauls go,dont use grid antennas,they create unnecessary noise on your other antennas because they have alot of leakage,rather go for parabolic dishes,that lip on the edge is designed to prevent leakage,dishes are more expensive but you get what you pay for.