Community discussions

juanbe
just joined
Topic Author

Migrating from Old 2.7.14 Os to Routerboard 750GL

Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:29 pm

Sorry, I'm new in the forum and couldn't find a similar topic.
From about ten years ago we have running a 2.7.14 Os and I have the backup files in the machine running it.

I have a lot of work there, lot of pptp users. Some IPSEC tunnels for receiving the VPN's of our brach offices.

Now we bought 4 new RouterBoards 750 GL with 5.2 Os.
I can't drag and drop from 2.7.14 's WinBox to new 5.2 Winbox the files.
It seems that old Winbox does not work with that feature.

1st Question. Is there any way to solve the problem I related above ?

2nd Question. Independently of the result of first question. If I can extract the files and put them in the new routerboard... the backup files are compatible between those two versions ?

Thanks very much
Best regards

Juan

karlos
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Migrating from Old 2.7.14 Os to Routerboard 750GL

Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:24 pm

If i have some old ROS version (last i made was 2.9.23) that does not allow me to upgrade using winbox and just puting in 2.9.51 and is talking about "upgradeable until" an some past date, i go this way:

Its impossible to do it remotly but.

Connect to it using Serial and Telnet. Set booting from net and use netinstall. Select keep old configuration and keep licence.

After reboot i see ROS version 2.9.51 upgradeable to 3.x and i can follow like in my write-up http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php ... 96#p295425

Did i help you..... than give me Karma 8)

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:06 am

karlos, he doesn't want to upgrade, he has a new device. he wants to migrate configuration.
juanbe, this will be nearly impossible, as a long time has passed since 2.7 and most configuration commands are different. you will not be able to move entire configuration with a simple drag and drop. you will need to export config with the "/export file=name" command, download that file with FTP, then open with Text editor, and modify commands according to new syntax (study the manual on wiki.mikrotik.com)
No answer to your question? How to write posts

juanbe
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:59 pm

Yes normis, you are right.
Its a little tricky, but I'm on the way...
I looked over the files exported, and compared with new sintax.
I'm wondering if it's not going to be better to config all again using the winbox in the 5.2 OS Routerborad, with the help (for not forgetting nothing..) of the scripts exported from version 2.7.14.
Thanks very much...
I appreciated your advice.
best regards

JuanBe

PS: Cant'give Karma. when I read your post passed more than 6 hours. I'm in Argentina.

karlos
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:45 am

2 normis: OK, my idea was to upgrade the old ROS to newest and do easy transfer of configuration, may be using Export compact (new in v5.12)

2 juanbe: Wish you good luck