Community discussions

MikroTik App

ranpha
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

DHCPv6 newbie question.

Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:21 am

Routerboard RB751U-2HnD and RouterOS 5.12.

Just today I'm trying to play around with DHCPv6 feature so that I can assign addresses from the prefixes assigned to me by HE tunnelbroker.net to computers in my LAN, via DHCPv6 server instead of radvd.

What I have done is:-

1. Set up radvd (on bridge-local interface) to enable M and O flags but not the A flag. Advertise DNS and MAC address are enabled too.
2. Set up a prefix (::/64) with the A flag off but the 'On-link' option enabled, on bridge-local interface.
3. Add a static route for the /48 HE has assigned to me on bridge-local interface.
4. Add a /64 IPv6 pool address from the /48 given to me by HE. Let's call it 'pool1'.
5. Set up a DHCPv6 server on bridge-local interface, using the the pool 'pool1' made in step 4 above, with default settings.

But when I set up a Windows 7 computer to automatically get an IPv6 address, nothing happens. All I see is the link-local address for the adapter, and the RB751U-2HnD bridge-local interface's link-local address as the gateway address. In other words, the route has been set up correctly, but no IPv6 address or a DNS server has been passed to the system.

If I change the adapter settings to use static configuration, where:-

IPv6 address: A random single IPv6 address from the 'pool1' pool.
Subnet prefix length: 128.
Default gateway: The link-local address for the bridge-local interface of the RB751U-2HnD.
Preferred DNS server: The link-local address for the bridge-local interface of the RB751U-2HnD.
Secondary DNS server: empty.

then IPv6 connectivity works just fine.

It is just that I cannot make Windows grab an IPv6 address and DNS information from the DHCPv6 server.

Is there something I miss out?

Thanks.

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: DHCPv6 newbie question.

Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:25 pm

in current state DHCPv6 is actually DHCPv6-PD - that is DHCP IPv6 server for Prefix Delegation. If you want to assign addresses to users, you will not be able to use it for that purpose.

Only possible ways how to do that is - use RA (Router Advertisement) that can give you stateless configuration with DNS servers also included into the message (works on linuxes), other way is to create pppoe that will give out the addresses to the clients and correct configuration for ipv6 to work.

ranpha
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:10 pm

Oh, thank you for the info. Can I assume then that a fully-fledged DHCPv6 server will come out later in future releases?

omega-00
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:05 pm

If you assign a public address provided via the he.net connection range to your lan port, then set the address to "Advertise" you will receive IPv6 addresses in that range (use a /64) on your local machines however you won't receive prefix delegation from this alone, DHCPv6 is required for that.

ranpha
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:25 pm

Actually I want to assign static IP address for the computers in the network instead of having privacy-enabled stateless autoconfig on them. Man, this means need to use other stateful configuration until RouterOS has a real working DHCPv6 server.

omega-00
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:58 am

You can/could always assign static addresses to the machines themselves in the meantime, but yes, providing specific IP's will need to wait for more work on the DHCPv6 server.