MikroTik App

shadowskippie
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

script policy

Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:04 am

Howzit

i need a little help understanding something.
in the scripts for mikrotik, what exactly are the policies and how do they work

spotts78

Re: script policy

Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:28 pm

Have you read about it in the wiki?
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Sc ... repository

shadowskippie
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:08 pm

i kind of just looked over it while I was looking for the policy info, i'll take another look at it.

Thanks

JAza

Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:02 am

Have you read about it in the wiki?
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Sc ... repository
I've read the wiki and it is less than clear. It also is not complete.

On the wiki it mentions FTP and Telnet and Local and Web, none of which I see as options in Winbox.
Further, in Winbox I see checkboxes for Password and Sensitive and Sniff, none of which are mentioned in the Wiki you linked.

Is there a more up to date wiki page or a more thorough explanation somewhere?

shadowskippie
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:06 pm

look them up individually

if the telnet is ticked it means the user that is using that profile can access the router via telnet of SSH
the same goes for FTP and local (console)

basically having those ticked doesn't grant you those services whilst you are in the router, they grant you access to the router using those services.

the password just grants that user the ability to change passwords
sensitive - grants rights to see sensitive information in the router
sniff - policy that grants rights to use packet sniffer tool.

here is a link to a more updated wiki on the subject
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Router_AAA

guyboisvert
just joined

Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:47 pm

I'm a Linux / Winblows SysAdmin, Cisco tech support, etc. I'm new to Mikrotik and i'd like very much to use it for my client's need. It seems to be a very capable platform in a small / low power form factor.

Sorry to say that but all i have to say now is that my frustration level is high... Here we have a perfect example why. Creating a script for updating NTP servers, i tried to enter it into the webfig and BANG! "Policy" parameter... Googling around, found this thread. The explanation given here doesn't help me to understand this famous "Policy" parameter...

Citing you:
if the telnet is ticked it means the user that is using that profile can access the router via telnet of SSH
What in the world is this??? I'm adding a script into the system! How does it relates to the script??? No idea!
basically having those ticked doesn't grant you those services whilst you are in the router, they grant you access to the router using those services.
Ah? So again, what's the relationship with my poor script??? Please please please, somebody post a CLEAR explanation to this!!! As usual, i will post my success to help the community... I'm good at explaining / documenting and will give back to the community!

Sorry shadowskippie, nothing against you (and thanks for your time answering), just frustration of not being able to do simple basic things starting to get me! (Like setting dyndns, dual SSID: public and private, etc)

I don't want to be rude or anything but after an hour of searching / googling around, still found no response to this... And yeah, i've RTFM!

shadowskippie
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:20 pm

well dyndns needs to be done using a script, the nice thing is someone has already put that script online.
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Dynamic_D ... for_dynDNS

as for the policies. when it comes to the scripts, its basically saying that this script is giving these permissions to perform these actions.

eg, if i wrote a script to reboot the router it would not be able to do so if i did not grant it access to the reboot policy