Community discussions

MikroTik App

Fritjoff
just joined
Topic Author

Problems connecting to two brand new SXT devices

Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:48 pm

I just got two brand new SXT radios delivered. And I am having a really silly problem. I can not connect to them.

The SXT device is powered and the Ethernet connection from the POE is plugged into my laptop. It shows link. I have set my IP address to be 192.168.88.2 255.255.255.0, but I can not contact the device at 192.168.88.1. I also do not show an ARP entry for its MAC address after trying to contact it. It does not respond to ping, http or Winbox.

I have tried two different ethernet cables, two different SXT radios and two different computers.

I am sure it is something really silly, and I have networking experience(but it has been a while) but I am dumbfounded!

Running Windows 7. Anyone got some pointers or ideas to help me out?

Thanks!

sja

Re: Problems connecting to two brand new SXT devices

Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:12 pm

I have limited experience with MikroTik however here is what I believe should work:

You need to configure your PC to obtain its ip configuration automaticcaly via dhcp. If you do this, then everything just works.

If for some reason you are obliged to manually set the IP address then in addition to the address (192.168.88.2) and mask (255.255.255.0) that you have already set, you must also set the "gateway" in your PC ip configuration to 192.168.88.1.

Fritjoff
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:20 pm

The gateway is set and I have tried DHCP but neither work. I am trying to connect to the radio directly for the first time to configure it.

sja

Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:37 pm

I don't know the SXT so I took a quick look at the SXT userguide and I see that differently to the mikrotik that I have it looks like the SXT has no initial configuration at all. In fact the manual says:
The SXT device is assembled and ready to use:
• Plug the supplied PSU into a power socket, and connect it to the supplied PoE injector
• Connect one end of the injector to a switch or any other device, and the other end to Ethernet cable
leading to the SXT device
• Connect to the SXT device with SSH or Winbox to configure it. See this document for details:
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:First_time_startup
• Configure RouterOS according to the manual:
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Category:Manual
By the way the winbox connects without needing an IP at all - works using MAC's only. Dont put the IP in "Connect To" just do a scan by hitting the "..." - your SXT should show up.

If that does not work then you need someone with direct SXT experience - I am sorry can't suggest anymore.