Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

martr84
just joined
Topic Author

Virgin Media(uk) and rb751u-2hnd

Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:46 am

I am new to the routerboard scene, but have just bought a rb751u-2hnd for use on my 50mbit virgin media connection. using the default config provided with the router I should be able to plug my modem into ether-1 and a laptop in ether2 and get Internet access. However I don't.

The router receives an ip via dhcp from the ISP, however pinging an external ip directly from the router comes back with 100% loss. So anyone had similar experiences?

elektromonter
just joined

Re: Virgin Media(uk) and rb751u-2hnd

Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:20 am

Start from pinging your gateway, if that don't succeed check if in
/ip route print
you should have default route like :
Flags: X - disabled, A - active, D - dynamic, C - connect, S - static, r - rip, b - bgp, o - ospf, m - mme,
B - blackhole, U - unreachable, P - prohibit
 #      DST-ADDRESS        PREF-SRC        GATEWAY-STATE GATEWAY                       DISTANCE INTERFACE
 0 ADS  0.0.0.0/0        reachable       [i] [your_gateway_address]   [/i]       1        ether1
 1 ADC[i]  [..... your directly connected network address assigned by dhcp from Virgin][/i]
if you don't have default route check if in dhcp-client settings:
/ip dhcp-client export
you have:
# feb/12/2012
#
/ip dhcp-client
add default-route-distance=0 disabled=no interface=ether1

If I help you - Give me Karma

martr84
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:11 am

Good News,

I got it working, thank you for all the help.

i had not rebooted the virgin media modem, even though the modem was supplying an ip address from the isp and all the correct subnet, DNS details etc.

I'm guessing the modem does something internally with the mac address of the connected router, i also noticed just before the modem acquires the public ip address the modem passes via dhcp an ip in the 192.168.100.0/24 range with a gateway of 192.168.100.1 this gives you access to a web stats of the virgin media modem.

Thanks

TonyJr
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:49 pm

Good News,

I got it working, thank you for all the help.

i had not rebooted the virgin media modem, even though the modem was supplying an ip address from the isp and all the correct subnet, DNS details etc.

I'm guessing the modem does something internally with the mac address of the connected router, i also noticed just before the modem acquires the public ip address the modem passes via dhcp an ip in the 192.168.100.0/24 range with a gateway of 192.168.100.1 this gives you access to a web stats of the virgin media modem.

Thanks
If you login to the virgin box, you can put it into 'modem only' mode and it will assign the public ip directly to your routerboard wan interface. In older virgin modems I think the option is a tick box for DHCP and the superhub ones it is the modem only option.

Tony.