Community discussions

MikroTik App

mahnet
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

ethernet port problems

Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:58 am

i have a site where i am having problem with ethernet ports of the AP. the ethernet port goes bad every 1-2 months.
i dunno if it is due to electricity or due to lightning. but the radio recieving bandwidth works absolutely good with no problems. only the AP is affected everytime.
i have changed the cables and power adapters & ups but the problem continues.
is it something to do with the 15 dbi omni antenna i am using at only this site. is it the cause?
all my other sites have sectors and i hae never faced this kind of persistent problem at ne loc.

vik1988
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: ethernet port problems

Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:30 am

i have a site where i am having problem with ethernet ports of the AP. the ethernet port goes bad every 1-2 months.
i dunno if it is due to electricity or due to lightning. but the radio recieving bandwidth works absolutely good with no problems. only the AP is affected everytime.
is it something to do with the 15 dbi omni antenna i am using at only this site. is it the cause?
all my other sites have sectors and i hae never faced this kind of persistent problem at ne loc.
Hi,

Do u have Lightining arrestor installed on Tower and Tower earthing available. Do wifi cards have ESD protection, are u using Surge protection on Ethernet ? are you using Metal enclosure ?

mahnet
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:52 am

no lightning arrestor. no esd protection.
yes towers r grounded but i dont understand why only the AP ethernet goes bad. why not other radio.

vik1988
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:14 am

no lightning arrestor. no esd protection.
yes towers r grounded but i dont understand why only the AP ethernet goes bad. why not other radio.

Which RB ? are you using the same RB as AP on the same tower for other Link...

czolo

Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:18 am

Hi,

Do u have Lightining arrestor installed on Tower and Tower earthing available. Do wifi cards have ESD protection, are u using Surge protection on Ethernet ? are you using Metal enclosure ?
I've found nice RJ45 connectors with metal shield. They are cheaper and better than TC.
http://www.kabeltechnika.pl/dat/kabelte ... ontazu.pdf

Chance
just joined

Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:04 am

I have had the same problem for years with various types of equipment. I started isolating my equipment from the tower with rubber or enclosures that are not made of metal. I have also discovered that grounding my equipment to the tower is not a good idea. With the towers I am on, I have to run my own power up the tower and I ground my equipment to the ground leg I ran up the tower. I also use shielded outdoor cable from the Poe the radio and ground the shield to my power ground I ran up the tower. Basically I try to totally isolate my equipment from the tower. I used to replace radio's every 2-5 months until I figured this out. On my main tower I have 6 radio's at 650ft and I have not lost any of them in the last year. (KNOCK ON WOOD!) I was replacing about 6-10 a year and sometimes a lot more. I think static is knocking out the lan ports and not power surges, but I am no expert.