Community discussions

MikroTik App

PSCGOhio
just joined
Topic Author

How to login XBox 360's on hotel RouterOS setup

Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:21 am

Greetings,

I've poured through not only the docs but nearly half the posts here and I see that it's supposed to be possible to get them logged in, but where I'm located - not happening. Sony consoles have a browser so getting them straight-logged in is quite easy but with the XBox 360 not having one, we're stumped. We've got several layers to deal with on support, which takes forever and it's very aggravating to say the least so I'm asking here.

People have an assigned login, but even with the lousy and old instructions we have here to put that info in like the PPPoE settings and automatic-everything it refuses to log on.

Take into account there's no way to edit the OS features, open or forward ports, etc.

Is there a way to either trigger the login or bypass the User login screen so they can get on? No concerns of gameplay inside the building, they simply want to be able to get to and use XBox Live and many times don't have anything more than the console or don't have their own router that'd let them get around it. Recommending they make a purchase like that doesn't go over well so I'm trying to determine a simple solution.

reverged
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: How to login XBox 360's on hotel RouterOS setup

Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:17 am

A simple solution:
/ip hotspot ip-binding add type=bypassed server=<hotspot instance name> mac-address=<mac> disabled=no
[/code]

More complex, but easier to manage, if you are using centralized radius, enable mac authentication and setup a mac user on the radius server.

PSCGOhio
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:21 am

...and an impossibly overcomplicated response. I have NO WAY to edit the conf files to even attempt that. I can script til the cows come home, but the way the Corp has things restricted and set up I'm stuck.

I need to know what basic settings and such people are using to get 360's logged on, like an IP that'd let them bypass the login or some way to get around it. I've found all the trick software, brute force garbage and such that doesn't resolve the real issue.

I do have guests trying to solo log in with just an XBox 360.

I should also mention I haven't been able to find the RouterOS version but I believe that to be up to date and they DO NOT run hotspots at non WiFi locations. This is an old school, all wired setup.

kaptain1
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:37 am

Try this:
1. Connect playstation to Wi-Fi
2 Go to Hotspot in the Winbox, under Hosts tab, find your PS - by ip and or mac address...
3. Right click on the PS entry in the Hosts, Binding, select Bypass, choose the server of your hotspot. IP address should be the same on both fields in that window. - this should allow your PS to go online without having to login.
4. Now, go to the IP - DHCP Server and make sure that you bind that particular IP address (one that your PS got) to the Mac Address of your PS! This is to make sure that the PS gets the same IP address every time, otherwise, somebody else will get that IP at some point, but they will not be able to login through Hotspot because Hotspot will have a Bind to only allow PS's Mac Address to use that IP - so the user will complain that his internet doesn't work.

This is it - you have to 1. Setup Bypass in Hotspot ,and 2. Ensure that DHCP server only gives that IP address to the PS.

Good luck

kaptain1
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:42 am

Your question is confusing, I had to re-read it after posting, but still don't have the clear picture. From what I understand - you live in a building where they have a MikroTik blocking your Xbox? And you're not a Network Admin, nor do you have access to the MikroTik router to set-up a bypass for your Xbox?

Then you say that there's no Hotspot set-up? Then what's blocking your Xbox?

PSCGOhio
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:20 am

I work in the location. Not a single XBox 360 is capable of connecting unless it's ported thru that guest's router they have in-room to create either a split or personal WiFi setup for themselves. I have that same setup. And it should be mentioned that the setup requires a PC or Smartphone or something that can browse to get the session started, allowing any other device to surf, etc. while the session is active.

The location uses RouterOS and only allows us to see the User Panel to create accounts, reboot things, reports, etc. and there's no way to do any scripting at all otherwise (as I'd mentioned) there's a ton of scripting answers I could've performed.

What I haven't found is any details on how someone would hook up to a RouterOS setup as a guest-user when they only have a 360. No laptop, PC or anything else to get to the web logon page to put in their UID & PW to get a session started that they could then flip over and use their 360.

Playstation users have a browser built in that when they go to attach to the Network - they can use that to get a RouterOS login page using the UID & PW we create for them when they buy the service for the specified period of time.

I've read elsewhere that the 360 can't get past this hump because it can't show the guest the login page for them to get a session started, but here I've read a ton of people using it and having clients/guests on their network as well. So I'm looking for clues as to what they can put in their 360 or an alternate IP or something they can use.

I mentioned there's no 'Hotspot' feature running because there's no WiFi in this building unless the guest brings their own equipment to accomplish that.

kaptain1
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:50 am

Actually, you can still have a "hotspot" even if it's only a hard-wired connection. Hotspot is basically means that users see a "login" page of some sort. I don't know whether you guys are using mikrotik hotspot, or something else...

As I understand you, you're looking for some way/hack to make your xbox360 to login into the hotspot... i don't know since i never used a xbox.

You most likely will need a help your you network administrator here.

The only solution I know of - you can try negotiating with the administration and see if they can also add support fot xbox to the network. Usually, they only say "wifi internet" - so if your laptop works, then you can't say anything. See what it'll take to have them support xboxes as well, maybe they won't mind a small "set-up fee" as they just need to add your xbox to bypass in their mikrotik settings.

I don't see how you can achieve this without another device, or network admin's help. Unless there's some l33t hack on xbox that you can use to get logged into the hotspot.

GL

PSCGOhio
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:06 am

Again, l33t and hacks died many years ago...

I'm looking for a legit way to get guests on our system to be able to connect and get a session started because they can't (using a 360) hit any sort of a login page. Docs show a 'hotspot' as something totally different than you're describing, involving WiFi services - which we do not have.

If you're going to call 'hotspot' a login page, then yes we have a branded version and it would, in fact, be a MicroTik RouterOS hotspot page for guests to log in. They come to a desk, buy a time-limited password to get on and can do so with virtually any devices that have browsers - which include PS's and Wii's. But in this case, a 360 doesn't natively have one so they can't get to that page. I've read of alternate logon methods, which to make some people happy are the goal.

I'm not looking to circumvent having paid customers, just happy ones. If you're clueless and/or going to just trash me as some sort of a hacker then that'd explain why you skimmed the first post so badly and gave a useless reply.

changeip
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:40 am

i didnt get this from the conversation - are you the hotel with the routeros setup, or the guest trying to connect?

I would probably find the first 3 octets of the MAC addresses that XBox 360's use and then write a script that once a minute finds them and bypasses them. I ran into this exact same problem at Campland by the Bay here in San Diego - there was no way to hit the browser to actually log in. A shame Microsoft doesnt have a browser on the xbox 360.

You could also find all the services / ranges that xbox 360 likes to talk to and put them into the walled garden. Once they try to connect to xbox live then add them to an address-list and then bypass their MAC or something.

PSCGOhio
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:02 am

1) Hotel with RouterOS Setup.
2) Heavily Admin-controlled by service-providing idiots, so no extensive Admin screens.
3) NO SCRIPTS POSSIBLE. No way to plug them in, edit or otherwise - that's been locked out.
4) I have the guests trying to log in.
5) No way to determine IP's unless they start an initial session and get one assigned, if they
have no PC at all - just a 360 - then they can't start an initial session.
6) No way to DMZ anything, firewall out XBL or the like so they could connect and go.

Not sure where any of this is confusing, beyond the fact I'm getting overly-technical responses from coders instead of more simplistic user-end information. The system is set, it's cheaply put together by this 'Vendor' and they like to charge $300 just to come use your bathroom while still providing crappy service.

My goal is to make the guests who come with ONLY a 360 happy by being able to use XBL. No surfing, not worried about in-the-building gaming sessions, etc. Just on and out.

At the moment our recommendation to them is to go dump $30-$50 on their own WiFi router that becomes transparent and allows them to log in - start a session - then any other connected device including a 360 works without requiring a login. But I have guests that come and go (long and short stays) who have a 360. Maybe they do, maybe their kids do, doesn't matter. They want to buy service, have the 360 work on XBox Live for multiplayer, etc. and have NO PC at all.

cbrown
Trainer
Trainer

Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:38 am

If you can't access and change the router you are pretty much screwed. Can you get access from your service provider or just remove their system and put in your own?

DynStatic
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:47 am

If you can get then to turn on and configure PPPoE you can use that to log the xboxs in without fiddling with the hotspot stuff. PPPoE and hotspot can coexist and function at the same time. PPPoE dial ins are not blocked by the hotspot.

cbrown
Trainer
Trainer

Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:13 am

If you can get then to turn on and configure PPPoE you can use that to log the xboxs in without fiddling with the hotspot stuff. PPPoE and hotspot can coexist and function at the same time. PPPoE dial ins are not blocked by the hotspot.
Correct but without access to the router this is not possible.

PSCGOhio
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:20 am

Nope, as a chain what it is - is what it is. And getting the Vendor to make any changes is impossible. Last time someone tried to bring something in and rout around the system - it crashed for a week. A simple DSL modem, killed the whole mess because we're apparently hooked up to that Provider and so it kept trying to call home to mommy and invalidated the entire connection.

So I'm faced with the setup as it is, no way to script any commands so that's out.

And in reference to access to the Router - not that I've found, we only get the User Admin panel to create accounts, etc. and only what the Vendor's turned on inside that. I can 'see' the Router, but all the configurable settings don't give the ability to config, script or turn features on/off. Just QoS type settings and informational for reference if you had multiple routers on it, etc.

What I was looking for was how those I've read in other posts were managing to get past the login page specifically for that reason, not to go hacking anything. Looks like those guests are screwed and anyone who's gotten around the setup has full Admin rights and interfaces we can't get to from the local property. I'd PPPoE or DMZ the sucker to death if I thought it would work to make'm happy but neither option is available.

I've got a longshot workaround, but since it's not my place it's not worth all the effort and I certainly don't get paid my normal tech rate for all that work either. It just seemed from other posts than somehow it was being accomplished with MicroTik - obviously it doesn't work otherwise if you Google it.

kaptain1
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:56 am

I love this one: "If you're clueless and/or going to just trash me as some sort of a hacker then that'd explain why you skimmed the first post so badly and gave a useless reply." - that's what I get after re-reading all of the confusing posts and coming-up with any possible solutions.

PSCGOhio
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:41 am

I love this one: "If you're clueless and/or going to just trash me as some sort of a hacker then that'd explain why you skimmed the first post so badly and gave a useless reply." - that's what I get after re-reading all of the confusing posts and coming-up with any possible solutions.
Considering the entire post doesn't have the word Playstation in it and asks about getting 360's properly connected, I can see how you and the guy before you that missed the 'scripts aren't possible' bit and are totally confused.

changeip
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:58 am

1 - you have no control over the hotspot whatsoever.
2 - there is a username and password assigned, but no way to enter it.
3 - if the hotel isnt running B mode wireless you can connect with a mt/ubnt radio and setup your own wireless.
4 - you still need a way to enter a password.
5 - refer to 1, and 2 ... which means your out of luck unless there is another device that can enter the auth from 3.

PSCGOhio
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:05 am

1 - you have no control over the hotspot whatsoever.
2 - there is a username and password assigned, but no way to enter it.
3 - if the hotel isnt running B mode wireless you can connect with a mt/ubnt radio and setup your own wireless.
4 - you still need a way to enter a password.
5 - refer to 1, and 2 ... which means your out of luck unless there is another device that can enter the auth from 3.
I'm going for SOL, no WiFi or a willingness to install any version of it (corporate fun).

I'll make the useless request via the time-wasting channels to see if they'll reconfig either allowances for 360's or turn on PPPoE functionality. Considering the old, cruddy docs I had to work from when I got here it's talking about a PPPoE setup with their assign UID & PW so there's gotta be at least one property in the chain that's able to do it. Just takes forever to get anything accomplished and the vendor usually demands money the corp won't pay.

omega-00
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:59 am

PPPoE can work along hotspot quite simply, I'd recommend this as the easiest way to allow the Xbox's.

Put a ticket through to your provider noting that while PS3's and other devices with web browsers are able to get online there is no way for an Xbox (or VoIP ATA .. just to lend some non-game related creedence to your request) to get online at this time.

Assuming they're already doing something to block a user from remaining online after their time/data runs out they'd also need to apply a similar strategy to blocking PPPoE users (or redirecting them to a "your account has expired" page or something).

reverged
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:23 pm

Considering the entire post doesn't have the word Playstation in it and asks about getting 360's properly connected, I can see how you and the guy before you that missed the 'scripts aren't possible' bit and are totally confused.
Anytime I've joined a forum for help, I treat the helpers with respect and understand that, perhaps, they may know more than I know. And especially, they may use a language I'm not accustomed to.

Humility goes a long way in this world and in this forum. There are lots of members here who won't respond at all if posters don't show a little. Myself included. Why help someone solve his network problem?

I read this:
....Take into account there's no way to edit the OS features, open or forward ports, etc....
To mean you have no access to the Xbox OS, as "RouterOS" "ROS" "MT" etc are the more common terms used here for Mikrotik RouterOS.

And given you posted this in "Beginner Basics" I assumed you may have been unfamiliar with the bypass feature.

So. All that aside, there are solutions. It all depends on what you want to do, your cababilities and how much money wants to be spent. Probably less than paying your vendor.

PSCGOhio
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:51 pm

And thanks for preaching, not practicing! Gave me a resolution, no question.

Quite frankly those paying attention to the detail provided gave the basic clues as to what's going to have to happen next in order to try to provide the guests a happy conclusion. Wasn't the best news in the world, but it does show what can't happen in the present configuration.

Also want to give ya big kudo's on knowing that quote feature too!!
To mean you have no access to the Xbox OS, as "RouterOS" "ROS" "MT" etc are the more common terms used here for Mikrotik RouterOS.
XBox OS... it scares me that someone can even make that statement, like Microsoft would even allow someone to make an editable OS for anything. Once again, proves the point that skimmers never prosper. Language. Right.

anywho
just joined

Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:23 am

Hi,

I'm in a similar situation. I have both hotspot and pppoe capability on the same router with an external RAIDIUS. A user can register just fine with the hotspot system, and can configure his laptop/computer to work using pppoe. Works without an issue. However, if I have a device like a XBoxlive or Ubiquiti antenna acting as a router, both will refuse to authenticate through pppoe. Any ideas why pppoe will work on a laptop but not on an XBox??

Thanks.

PSCGOhio
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:04 am

Hi,

I'm in a similar situation. I have both hotspot and pppoe capability on the same router with an external RAIDIUS. A user can register just fine with the hotspot system, and can configure his laptop/computer to work using pppoe. Works without an issue. However, if I have a device like a XBoxlive or Ubiquiti antenna acting as a router, both will refuse to authenticate through pppoe. Any ideas why pppoe will work on a laptop but not on an XBox??

Thanks.
Ouch, so if I get the PPPoE functionality turned on there's a possibility that they still can't even log on? Before I whip up this hornet's nest, even I'd like to know if there's a fix for this problem...

CLTech
just joined

Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:41 am

So, since you have no access to the system, and now way to make the xbox open the hotspot, then to be honest, the only workaround I can think of may be too much work for you - it's up to you... but it's to find some sort of device you can keep on hand that lets you spoof a mac address - you'd spoof the xbox's MAC, then get logged in, then revert your MAC back.

OR - maybe you get the hotel to keep 5 or 6 of these routers on hand they can loan out?

All that said, as a traveller I always carry my own router - just so I can have all my devices talking to each other... and at times to set up hardware VPN back to my office and have my VOIP phone working at the hotel while out of the country 8) It doesn't seem that unreasonable to suggest that people do that - nowhere are you obligated to set up a non-traditional hot-spot for game consoles.

miahac
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed May 09, 2012 3:51 am

I recommend you get a dumb 4 port router, ask your useless tech support to bypass it ( if they will not, you can plug another pc into it and login to the hotspot for how many days your coupons work), then tell your xbox guest to plug that in between the wall and the xbox.

I however do have admin access and am interested in some of the scripts mentioned like the mac address script and the common sites walled garden. People call us with xbox connect to hotspot ( we create a mac login usually, sometimes bypass but that kills the rate limit) and would love to eliminate these calls.