Community discussions

MikroTik App

luke240778
just joined
Topic Author

First time using Mikrotik needing some help please

Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:18 am

Hi there, i have a RB750GL that i have just started to play with and am having some problems getting it setup as i need it, and am hoping someone can assist me.

I have a firewall server that is providing my network with DHCP, so i want the RB750GL to connect to my network via say Port 1 and then the other 4 ports i need to provide Hotspot on them, but with all ports providing connected client DHCP from my server, and not from the RB

I have set it up as Port 1 to get IP via DHCP from Server, and then have just tried with port 2 so far with DHCP relay but it is not getting DHCP when i connect a laptop to port 2.

Any ideas?

killersoft
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: First time using Mikrotik needing some help please

Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:23 am

Hi, if I were your position, I would get rid of the firewall server and use the mirkotik to do your front end firewalling and or connection!

The mikrotik can do PPPoE connections if you have adsl modem for example in bridge mode. Or at worst get an IP from a modem, but be carefull about double NAT issues when it gets to your clients !..

As for the hotspot outputs, not sure why you would want to use 4 ports worth. ? Elaborate !!
We just use one port on the mikrotik and a big switch to client boxes for a hotspot

Hotspot and DHCP from another server(even with a relay) probably is not going well when you look how the hotspot interacts with the required-IP pool. Probably best you get the mikrotik to do DHCP for you..

luke240778
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:23 am

Thanks for your reply. Removing the Firewall is not an option at all.

PPPoE not needed at all. I just need to be able to set it up in the way i first mentioned. SO are you saying it is not possible? THere is no way tp hav eports 2-5 handing out DHCP to clients from the firewall server?

4 Ports for Hotspot as all devices plugged into each port i need to have Hotspot for authentication to my RADIUS server.

IP Poo on my main server is 10.0.0.0/18 so i need to be able to stick to this. I don't want to have to give each port an IP address and have then all DHCP'ing a subnet (10.0.1.0/24 for example)

luke240778
just joined
Topic Author

Fri May 11, 2012 5:01 am

Anyone else able to offer some assistence?

luke240778
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:54 am

Can someone please assist me here? What i am trying to do, and have been trying for ages and not able to get it working is the following:

Port 1 - Will be connected to switch and my LAN DHCP server
Port 2 - Anything connected to this port will get an IP from my LAN DHCP server (not using DHCP on RB)
Port 3 - 5 not a problem, as long as i can get the above working i can sort these out later.

SO basically, the way i see it is that port 1 is just a connection to my already created network, and will relay IP's from my external DHCP server. (Internal on my LAN, i say External as its not on the RB)

Can someone please please tell me how to do this using Winbox or the Webgui? I have no idea how to do anything via terminal.

I have tried creating DHCP relay on the Port 1, but when i connect to any of the other ports nothing happens.

Thanks in advance.

Devil
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:27 pm

I have never setup a dhcp relay but it appears that dhcp server, should support dhcp relay functionality. or maybe i'm wrong and all of dhcp servers support them.
please post
/ip address print detail
/ip dhcp-client print detail
/ip dhcp-relay print detail
of your router

Pilgrim
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:21 am

To make everything connected to port 2 get an IP from your DHCP/LAN connected to Port 1 you will just need to put these two port in a brigde - in winbox click bridge and add the brigde and then click on the tap called ports and add port 1 and port 2 to the brigde.

Or even better just use the build in Switch function by click on interfaces (left menu in winbox) and open ports 1 and in master port you select port 1 to be master and click apply / OK and the open port 2 and select port 2 to be slave to port 1.

it is best to use the switch funtion -its faster and does not use CPU power.

As for setting up DHCP server for another port i sugges to use the "DHCP setup" function in winbox IP/DHCP server and click on DHCP setup.

hope this help

rgs Pilgrim