Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

voxelman
just joined
Topic Author

RB450G Firmware Upgrade Failure - V5.15

Fri May 04, 2012 11:46 pm

I am having a problem with defective RB450G hardware. Last fall my company ordered 55 RB450Gs for use as a component in a system we build. Of the 55 units we received 7 have the nasty habit of performing spontaneous reboots. We reported this to the distributor and we received the message from Mikrotik support that we should save out supout.rif files from each of the defective units and send them to Mikrotik and that they would issue RMAs. But they didn't. Instead they made the demand that we upgrade the Router OS on the defective units. I have just spent two very frustrating days attempting to do this per the online instructions. Each of the target units that I have attempted to upgrade to Router OS version 5.15 ends up in a state where it will no longer boot or be recognized by winbox. In Mikrotik's remarks to me they state that I may have to use the netinstall application to uprade some of the routers. I find the use of netinstall completely opaque and am wondering if anyone else shares this type of experience and how they have handled it.

I am sitting on an order for 30 more systems that require these boards and I am lothe to purchase more RB450Gs until I get this issue resolved.
...too many RB450Gs

CelticComms
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: RB450G Firmware Upgrade Failure - V5.15

Sat May 05, 2012 12:14 am

Are the units not even issuing the short beep sequence that is normal after a reboot?
Interlynx | Networking and Information Security Consultants & Trainers | Email: routerlynx@gmail.com
BGP | EIGRP | OSPF | MPLS | Firewall | VPN | IPsec | Multicast | QOS | IPv4/6 | STP | VLAN | PON | AE | M2M | and more!

voxelman
just joined
Topic Author

Mon May 07, 2012 6:11 pm

I get one beep about 6 seconds after power is applied, the Yellow/Green LED at the center of the board flickers for a couple of seconds and then nothing.

On functioning units I get one beep about 6 seconds after power is applied, the Yellow/Green LED at the center of the board flickers for about 15 seconds and then I get a higher pitched double beep. From this point I am usually able to connect with winbox. Of the units that are exhibiting the spontaneous reboots some are so eratic that I cant even establish a stable winbox connection before they reboot.

The bottom line is that we just want to return the defective units and have the issues resolved by MikroTik.
...too many RB450Gs

CelticComms
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon May 07, 2012 10:19 pm

To be honest I would contact the distributor and tell them that you will order another 30 but only after they deal with the issues on the defective units. You *could* access the unit via the serial port and possibly get more sense of what is happening but it would seem wholly appropriate to get the distributor involved.
Interlynx | Networking and Information Security Consultants & Trainers | Email: routerlynx@gmail.com
BGP | EIGRP | OSPF | MPLS | Firewall | VPN | IPsec | Multicast | QOS | IPv4/6 | STP | VLAN | PON | AE | M2M | and more!

OffshoreGuy
just joined

Tue May 08, 2012 1:53 pm

I am upgrading to V5.15 the RB450G that I just got yesterday is rebooting just like you say. This is my first experience with MikroTIK and I will do a credit card charge back on the multi thousand dollar order and make them pay for shipping back if this is the case. UGH I wish that I would have seen this earlier.

voxelman
just joined
Topic Author

Tue May 08, 2012 5:18 pm

To be honest I would contact the distributor and tell them that you will order another 30 but only after they deal with the issues on the defective units. You *could* access the unit via the serial port and possibly get more sense of what is happening but it would seem wholly appropriate to get the distributor involved.
Thank you for your suggestion. We have been conducting our communications with the distributor Solid Signal. They have no technical experience with the product and initially didn't even realize that they were responsible for supporting the product for the 1 year warranty period preferring for us to communicate directly with MikroTik. As it stands now they are just an inefficiency in the process of communicating with MikroTik.
...too many RB450Gs

voxelman
just joined
Topic Author

Tue May 08, 2012 5:23 pm

I am upgrading to V5.15 the RB450G that I just got yesterday is rebooting just like you say. This is my first experience with MikroTIK and I will do a credit card charge back on the multi thousand dollar order and make them pay for shipping back if this is the case. UGH I wish that I would have seen this earlier.
I wish that I could deal with this problem so simply. I assure you that any further units that we buy will be subjected to burn-in testing as soon as they arrive so that we can return them within the 30 day distributor return period. When we made the initial purchase of these units I was distracted by other development issues and didn't encounter this problem until we were in manufacturing.
...too many RB450Gs