Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

jwilson5153
just joined
Topic Author

Change to new public IP

Fri May 18, 2012 6:15 pm

My experience with Mikrotik is zero. We need to remove our current default gateway IP and replace it with a new one. The new block of public IPs has been assigned and provisioned by our ISP. I can ping the gateway from the router. I even have one of the new IPs set up and working with a NAT to an internal server.
I have added the new IPs and and assigned them to the interface pointed at the ISP but the new IPs do not show up as connected routes in the route table.
When I add a default route using the new gateway it shows as unreachable.
Obviously I am missing something. What do I need to do so I can get the new default gateway reachable before I delete the current gateway?
I also have a second interface also going to the same ISP with a different IP. This interface and gateway is used for VOIP only. I will be leaving this interface and IP as is.

jwilson5153
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Change to new public IP

Mon May 21, 2012 8:25 pm

Several people have looked at this post but no one has responded. If anyone has knowledge of the Mikrotik OS and can provide direction I will grateful.

This seems like a simple issue and one well within the scope of basic configuration knowledge. I have considered replacing the Mikrotik with a Cisco router. Perhaps the absence of answers indicates limited support for this product further encouraging me to replace with a device that has better support for the times I am stumped.

Please provide some input.

dison4linux
just joined

Mon May 21, 2012 10:46 pm

I cannot really follow what you have attempted so far, but
The process for setting up an IP address on an interface in WinBox is:
Go to IP > Addresses
Click the + sign to add a new address or double-click an existing entry to change it.
Enter the IP address in CIDR notation and leave the network field blank. When you click apply the network field will be automatically calculated.
The process for setting up a default route in WinBox is:
Go IP > Route
Click the + sign to add a new address or double-click an existing entry to change it.
For the destination address, enter 0.0.0.0/0 meaning that traffic destined for anywhere will use this gateway.
For the gateway, enter the IP address of the gateway provided by your ISP as a simple IPv4 address.

Other than DNS (and presumably masquerading), that is all that is necessary for a bare-minimum setup on a MikroTik to use an ISP.

taduikis

Tue May 22, 2012 1:06 am

Do you have that IP subnet routed for you or it's just bunch of IPs assigned to you that you can throw on any device and use?

By the way, AFAIK you cannot have two simple default gateways without using separate routing tables. So you should remove or better disable the old one. And unreachable usualy means it litteraly.

It's difficult imagine your current setup and possible causes of your problem without knowing some more details..