Community discussions

zungvari
just joined
Topic Author

Replace PPPoE WAN with Dynamic IP WAN

Thu May 24, 2012 11:38 am

Hi,

We have a new ISP which provide us a dynamic IP based inernet line.
Currently we use a PPPoE ADSL line and I have to replace it with the new one.

What I tried is the following:

1. Added a new DHCP Client for the WAN interface. (IP status shows correct info when cable is connected.)
2. Disconnected the cable of PPPoE connection, then connected the new cable of the Dynamic IP based wan line.
3. Disabled PPPoE Client interface.
4. Replaced the PPPoE interface with WAN interface (which has DHCP Client enabled) in NAT (masquerade).
5. Added exactly the same routes for the WAN interface as it was set for PPPoE IF.

When I try to open a web page in browser it fails with timeout. (Cannot open webpage...)

Could you recommend what should I change in the config in order to solve the problem?

Thanks in advance.
Zoltan

GuJack20
Trainer
Trainer

Re: Replace PPPoE WAN with Dynamic IP WAN

Thu May 24, 2012 12:24 pm

Please try to ping in internet let's say 8.8.8.8 from the router and post the result
Also try to do traceroute to the same 8.8.8.8 and post the result here

Thanks
--Do you remember that guy who gave up? Neither does anybody else!

zungvari
just joined
Topic Author

Thu May 24, 2012 12:43 pm

Unfortunately lots of users work on the network, so I can do testing only at the evening. (Or setup separate ports and use load balancing, or something like that to avoid downtime, but I don't want to make it more complicated. I hope there is only a tiny mistake, and we can find it out easily.)

I can add further details, and I hope it helps:
1. We have another WAN connection working: that's a symmetric 4/4Mbit leased line and probably ping would succed and would be routed via this line instead of the Dynamic IP WAN.
2. In the routes we use 2 rules for PPPoE: 1 dynamic (distance: '0'; also set to '0' for DHCP Client) and 1 static for "HTTP" mark out with distance set to '1'.

Yesterday night when I did the test as mentioned above, the PING worked, but browsing failed, could it be some kind of routing problem? Am I using the recommended setup for Dynamic IP based WAN setup?

Thanks,
Zoltan

zungvari
just joined
Topic Author

Thu May 24, 2012 12:47 pm

Update:
I've prepared the new WAN connection on another port and added the NAT and ROUTE rules as mentioned above.

Ping results:
Timeout/Host unreachable.

Tracert results:
timeout, and tries again and again with the dynamic IP of the new WAN IF. (Next hop should be the gateway of the Dynamic IP connection, shouldn't it?)

Any advise is appreciated.

Thanks

zungvari
just joined
Topic Author

Thu May 24, 2012 4:15 pm

I've just noticed that a dynamic, static route is created for the DHCP Client with distance value: 1.
Perhaps the routes should be modified to make it work?

I thought replacing PPPoE with Dynamic IP WAN is a simple process, maybe I was wrong... :))

zungvari
just joined
Topic Author

Fri May 25, 2012 11:14 am

Could someone please help me to setup the new dynamic ip based WAN connection on MikroTik?

I hope there will be helpful people and the task is simple enough to make it work easily...

Thanks in advance,
Zoltan

Devil
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat May 26, 2012 4:57 pm

You said somewhere that you were able to ping but you could not browse, and it would fail immediately. that's usually the case when you have dns resolving problem. open cmd.exe in windows and type nslookup . see if you can resolve any domain. for example google.com . if it failed but you can still ping for example 8.8.8.8 , its dns issue.
Best Regards

zungvari
just joined
Topic Author

Mon May 28, 2012 2:08 pm

Ping works only via the primary WAN (4Mbit symmetric leased line), and the connection uses its DNS addresses, so no problem with DNS. I think its routing/NAT related, because HTTP traffice should be routed via the fast cheap WAN, but currently that fails.

And as I mentioned above the ping and tracert tests are failing via the new WAN's interface in WinBox too...

Any thoughts appreciated.