Community discussions

MikroTik App

g18c
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Set port's primary VLAN for untagged frames

Tue May 29, 2012 4:29 pm

Hi, with HP ProCurve swiches i can assign ports to carry an untagged packets (which get placed on the untagged vlan) and a number of untagged VLANs.

Is there any way i can assign a port to carry tagged and untagged frames, and if untagged place in a specific VLAN?

Thanks,

Chris

Feklar
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Set port's primary VLAN for untagged frames

Tue May 29, 2012 6:52 pm

The most important thing to realize about a Mikrotik is that it is not a switch. It does not have a concept of a tagged and untagged or a trunk port or even a PVID. Each VLAN and physical interface in a MikroTik is treated as it's own separate routed interface. Now you can duplicate some of the functionality with a bridge, but then everything is being done in software and you will run into performance issues depending on what you are expecting. You can also play around with the switch chip to see what you can accomplish. I've never used that portion so I can't really speak on how to configure it.

So can a port take in both tagged and untagged traffic, the simple answer is yes if they are intended to be for separate routed networks. If you intend it to be part of the same network then, no. A bridge of VLANs cannot contain the physical port they are associated with. It can be a different physical interface, (that is how you make an "untagged" port) but it cannot be the same interface.

sja

Re: Set port's primary VLAN for untagged frames

Thu May 31, 2012 8:51 am

Feklar mentioned the Switch Chip.

Some Mikrotik devices do have an onboard "Switch Chip" which would allow the OP to do what he asked (at wire speed too): take a look at http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Sw ... p_Features.

From the table you can see if your device has such a chip and also if it has a vlan or rule table.