Community discussions

MikroTik App

chipxsd
Topic Author

IPTV solution with udpxy

Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:22 pm

Greetings everyone.

I'd like to solve a simple problem of having an IPTV access on my wireless devices at home.

I've tried using IGMP-proxy, but it doesn't work well with wireless solutions - each time I open an UDP broadcast connection, whole network slows down.

Since I've got a spare Raspberry Pi, I thought I'd use it with udpxy server. I'd like to use the udpxy program (running on raspberry) to forward me IPTV streams via HTTP upon request.

I'm not really sure how to configure the router for such scenario, so I hope anyone here could help me? I've attached my network schematics.

What I'd like to achieve is, enable my Raspberry to have access to broadcast UDP traffic (e.g.: 239.1.1.115:5000) which is available on the gateway interface, without IGMP-proxy disturbing my WLAN traffic (since it goes berserk, if anyone is accessing broadcast IPs), and serve me on my local network (192.168.88.1/24).

Any help would be much appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by chipxsd on Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CelticComms
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: IPTV solution with udpxy

Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:29 pm

I suggest that you look at the performance of the WiFi segments first. If the routerboard is able to handle proxying the multicast traffic to the ethernet ports but not the WiFi devices then the limit may well me in the WiFi components.

e.g. - setting the WiFi interface to N only rather than supporting B/G ofetn yields an improvement in throughput.

I do use the IGMP proxy to serve multicast over WiFi but I prefer to do it over N operating on 5 GHz since the HD streams are around 6 Mbps each - however I am doing that on some higher end hardware.

chipxsd
Topic Author

Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:14 pm

Disabling b/g didn't help much - it's better, but still not usable. I've also disabled all lower datarates on wireless adapter, but this is really not a solution for me.

I've had options like virtual ethernet ports in mind (if that is even possible) ... VLAN (802.1q) comes out of the question on raspberry, since it's not included in the kernel :( (though I don't think it would've helped anyway).

CelticComms
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:43 pm

I am looking at your diagram again.

Does the modem (which is presumably a router too) send multicast traffic out of all ports regardless? If it does then you may be seeing multicast traffic created when the STB requests a channel.

The routerboard is apparently birdging all interfaces so the WiFi interface will see multicast traffic any time that the routerboard receives such traffic from the VDSL modem/router. FYI - you can go in to the WiFi interface and tell it not to forward multicast traffic even though the bridge may be seeing multicast traffic.

chipxsd
Topic Author

Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:47 am

Does the modem (which is presumably a router too) send multicast traffic out of all ports regardless? If it does then you may be seeing multicast traffic created when the STB requests a channel.
I'm not sure ... I wouldn't say, since the light blink independently. What I know is, all ports act the same on the modem. It doesn't matter, where I plug the VoIP phone, STB or router. And I also know, that I can have more than one STB.

STB doesn't affect traffic on the routerboard.

As far as I understand IGMP proxy, it unicasts same multicast traffic to all ips (but with the lowest rate), since WiFi doesn't support broadcasting.

I got the udpxy idea from the open-wrt. That's something MikroTik could have. It's a shame they don't have an SDK to write plugins for it.

docmarius
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:51 am

Isn't it feasible to use the router to do routing instead of bridging?
Set 1 input port from the modem, 1 output to the Raspberry allowing forwarding of multicast traffic, and the printer and WiFi in bridge mode to serve the local network, with multicast blocked.
I am not familiar with the 751g, but i think that i can do some pretty data flow in router mode.

CelticComms
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:29 am

Try looking at the data rates on the interfaces while switching your STB off/on and changing channels. If you see signifcant data on those interfaces when the STB is receiving a TV channel then the modem/router is multicasting to all ports regardless. SD TV is typically 2-3 Mbps and HD 5-6 Mbps.

chipxsd
Topic Author

Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:06 am

Set 1 input port from the modem, 1 output to the Raspberry allowing forwarding of multicast traffic, and the printer and WiFi in bridge mode to serve the local network, with multicast blocked.
Raspberry only has one nic. If it had two, I'd connect one directly to modem, and the other one to routerboard. Then set the udpxy to listen on the IP from the second nic (192.168.88.105).

Is there any other way to do this? I had virtual ethernet interfaces in mind, but I cannot make a software bridge on the Raspberry (since it's not included in the raspberry's debian kernel).
Try looking at the data rates on the interfaces while switching your STB off/on and changing channels. If you see signifcant data on those interfaces when the STB is receiving a TV channel then the modem/router is multicasting to all ports regardless. SD TV is typically 2-3 Mbps and HD 5-6 Mbps.
There's no difference if TV's on or off (i mean STB). I guess the modem works as it's suppose to.

docmarius
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:33 am

This is not what I suggested...

Connect devices exactly as in the picture.
- Get the traffic from the vdsl into first interface (lets say eth0) of the RB751
- On the second interface (eth1) connect the Raspberry
- Forward multicast data between interfaces eth0 and eth1 and block multicast to the other interfaces
- allow forward of unicast traffic between all other interfaces.

Or even simpler:
- bridge first and second port
- bridge the other ports
- drop multicast traffic between the 2 bridges and allow only unicast (using forward rules).

In this way, you will get multicast traffic only between vdsl and Raspberry, and not on the WLAN.
You have a 5 port router... Why use it as a 2 port router with a a switch :lol: ?

chipxsd
Topic Author

Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:44 am

In this way, you will get multicast traffic only between vdsl and Raspberry, and not on the WLAN.
You have a 5 port router... Why use it as a 2 port router with a a switch :lol: ?
Yes, you do have a point. I'll see which solution seems more elegant.

chipxsd
Topic Author

Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:59 pm

Pure awesomeness ... It works guys!

I just have to test, if everything else works (STB, voip ...).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:36 pm

when playing around with multicast, just note that there are stuff that uses multicast (like OSPF) so take into account when expanding the network.

docmarius
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:01 pm

If you would like to share what you did we wouldn't mind :)
Maybe others need it, too.

sanya
just joined

Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:31 pm

If you would like to share what you did we wouldn't mind :)
Maybe others need it, too.
As far as I see on the screenshot - IPTV works via udpxy (you can see it in the process list). It's the most simple way to convert multicast to unicast so that it transfers over wifi at a maximum speed. And it's exactly what a couple of MikroTik users ask to integrate into RouterOS during some (long) period of time but what MikroTik developers ignore. Thanks to chipxsd for great example how it should work if wireless router doesn't support native multicast-to-unicast translation like other wifi vendors do! :)

xandros
just joined

Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:05 pm

Pure awesomeness ... It works guys!

I just have to test, if everything else works (STB, voip ...).
can u tell , how u implemented?
maybe export from your mikrotik

Boter
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:47 pm

Any thoughts about sending multicast through WIFI? I have 2 SXT-s and multicast is not working fine. Link is good (SXT-s are 2m apart). Unicast ufcorse works flawlesly.

ropeba
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:42 pm

You can transport multicast over EoIP tunnel. Or waiting 10-20 years for udpxy on mikrotik ROS. :)

Boter
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:32 am

You can transport multicast over EoIP tunnel. Or waiting 10-20 years for udpxy on mikrotik ROS. :)

And you think over EoIP it will work? I don't need udpxy, i need multicast :) I have udpxy on some server for some clients, but I can't connect my STB than :)

ropeba
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:10 pm

Yes, multicast works over EoIP, but if you are using igmp proxy on ROS, expect problems becouse of existing bugs.

ahmedramze
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:12 pm

Hello

Did you solve it , or no ?

i think you need to add -m eth0 for your command to specific the multicast interface with out -m will use the lo interface.

I have now problem in installation for Raspberry B+ for updxy

Regards

Boter
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:37 am

I managed it to work with multicast :) Newer ROS have multicast "helper", and for now it works flawlesly