Community discussions

MikroTik App

humlhr
Topic Author

Need help WAN Failover between two ISP

Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:12 pm

Hi i have two ISP and I want to configure failover between them but problem is that their DNS are different form each other so if one link down then other is not working with pervious DNS.

Plz give me any idea or script so that when ISP change then DNS are also changed or any other idea

plisken
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Need help WAN Failover between two ISP

Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:49 pm

fill in the dns of both isp's by dhcp servers

mixig

Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:32 pm

you can also use public DNS servers

Ivoshiee

Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:51 pm

I am tackled the same kind of issues lately and DNS is not the hardest worries to tackle. You can put both DNS servers into your local DNS and let the local DHCP to send out both of these to your clients. Or just use your local DNS server.

For me the hardest part is actual detection if the ISP connection is indeed down. For example with my cable ISP the MT bundled functionality is pretty much useless (such as the check-gateway option), because they insist on gateway not pingable as not equal to network being down. Also, my setup has different alternative ISP connection attached physically into different MT boxes and usually several hops away from each other. So, I've had several attempts to script around those issues. Hopefully I am successful, soon.

ditonet
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:26 am

Use public DNS servers and this solution:
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Advanced_ ... _Scripting

HTH,

antkamidiv
just joined

Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:16 am

Hello!
The first workaround is to use public DNS servers such as google DNS (8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4). May be this one is the best variant to You.
The second is to use particular script to switch DNS settings. Visit my site http://mikrotik911.com/en where You will find a solution to Your problem. If You need create a failover access to the Internet You may find this resource is useful.
Best regards!