Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

jeremyh
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

RB1100AH - start with port switching? or something else?

Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:39 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm replacing our office's Draytek 2820 (Dual ADSL) with a RB1100AH. We have a simple 'flat' network (same subnet, no VLANs etc), with a couple of external sites on different subnets VPN'd in, but we don't need constant connectivity so it's ok for me to tinker.

The draytek 2820 simply has 4 ethernet ports, which are all switched. I have these going to another unmanaged (but only 10/100) switch, which goes to all the clients, wifi, etc.

I want to initially replicate this setup on the 1100AH. Is a port switching group the right way to do this? To clarify, I basically want the ethernet ports to behave as a single switch, with the exception of the two WAN interface ports.
Would the best way to do this be to just designate ether4-13 as slaves to ether3? Is there a better way to be going about this, given what I want to initially achieve? If it is suggested that I purchase a gige switch, I may do that, if it will make life easier in the future.

Many thanks,

Jeremy

cbrown
Trainer
Trainer

Re: RB1100AH - start with port switching? or something else?

Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:41 pm

I answered your other post. Please don't double post.

http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=63763
C.Brown

cbrown[at]ravenrocknetworks.com
MTCNA - MTCRE - MTCWE - MTCTCE
MTCSE - TRAINER-0179

jeremyh
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Re: RB1100AH - start with port switching? or something else?

Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:18 pm

I answered your other post. Please don't double post.

http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=63763
Thanks - The double post was unintentional. I was preoccupied while I typed/submitted my thread, and when I couldn't see it in the forum, I thought I must have only previewed it and not posted. I didn't realise they needed to be mod approved.

Mods - please close this thread.

Thanks