Community discussions

 
tombrdfrd66
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author
Posts: 243
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:09 am
Location: New Zealand

Silly question I know,

Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:37 pm

but I don't know the answer.

I've a point-to-point backhaul that can handle 10MBps each way, A (gateway) <> B (serving clients).

Presently I've the backhaul interface at B on one Mikrotik board connected to another Mikrotik with two directional wireless access points each serving half-a-dozen clients. If I replaced those two directionals with a single omni serving all twelve clients, all on one board, would throughput to the clients suffer?

Sometimes I decide it wouldn't matter as I'm limited to the 10MBps on the backhaul anyway, and a single access point can spread that around 12 clients as quickly as passing it between two boards and two AP interfaces, but then sometimes I get a feeling in my gut that two AP interfaces must be better in maximising throughput in some way I can't pin down.

Anyone know the answer?
The more I know, the more I know I don't know.
 
Ivoshiee
Member
Member
Posts: 471
Joined: Sat May 06, 2006 4:11 pm

Re: Silly question I know,

Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:32 pm

The 10Mbps Internet feed is not that much for the single radio to handle, but it depends on the nature of your traffic and state of your radio medium. If it is a lot of non-Internet type of traffic (such as some network flooding virus) and/or if portion of your clients do not have a LOS then you are better off with multiple radios and separate routers between them. Also, the less clients on a single radio channel is better to have anyway.
 
tombrdfrd66
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author
Posts: 243
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:09 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Silly question I know,

Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:49 pm

Also, the less clients on a single radio channel is better to have anyway.
I guess this is the crux of it - If you had two clients would you be better giving each its own channel or would an omni manage both perfectly well saving hardware costs, power and channels? Is it the same for twenty clients? 200? If an omni's fine for 2 clients but not 200 what influences the break-point?

As the local links can all manage 30MBps and the backhaul only 10MBps even one client is going to be throttled at the AP, so contention is going to be the same whether you have 12 clients on an omni or six each on two directionals. Isn't it? If overheads take up 10% of airtime you're splitting the other 90% of available transmission time between 12 on the omni and only six on the directional but that's a pretty insignificant impact, while with the directionals you're adding a routing decision to the handling of every packet.

My gut instinct is that less is better on any interface but my rational brain is having a hard job coming up with a reason.
The more I know, the more I know I don't know.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 17 guests