Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

ulink
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Understanding PCI-e in 411-5nH

Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:45 am

Have a Sierra Wireless MC5720 PCI-e card (compatible according to the hardware list) I am using in the 411 OS ver 5.6.
Looking for an explanation on how to initialize the device.
I have reviewed wiki post http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Port and identified the location of the driver and port lists for config.

What are the primary steps to making the card functional?
Also, I am using it on the Verizon network with standard ppp creds as follows:
phonenumber@vzw3g.com
vzw
Is this correct for their network?

Thanks for any assistance in getting me started.

vk7zms
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:22 am

When you install the Sierra card, a pop interface should appear on the router, just configure and enable this interface. You will need some specific information from your carrier - most just require the APN to be correct for the service you have purchased.

For the sierra cards, set port=usb2, data channel=4, info channel=3 set the APN for the service you have purchased, and PIN if you have one set on your SIMM. Untick dial on demand if you want an always on connection.

ulink
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: Understanding PCI-e in 411-5nH

Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:19 pm

Thanks vk7zms

I understand and can confirm what you post. The ppp-out1 interface is automatically made and awaiting config.
Stepping through the process, I find that the data and info channels will not be set with the suggested numbers. Pop up error indicating no such data or info channel exists. I can use either a 1 or a 2 in these fields which results in a log file posting of "async ppp info ppp-out1: resetting link" Removing this data, I get a bit further with "async ppp init string failed: AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","vzw3g.com"

This init string failed log post simply repeats until I disable the interface. Tells me I am on the right track but the APN info must not be correct. I have seen multiple APN options for verizon including:
phonnumber.vzw3g.com
internet
vzinternet
verizon
no APN needed

With no APN, the modem initializes, attempts a dial out then terminates with a modem hunged up message.

What modems are more suited to working with the 411? Perhaps I can locate one and alleviate this issue with the mc5720.

Thanks

vk7zms
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:39 pm

The settings I posted were for the mc87xx series. I have never used the 57xx series as we have no EV.DO or narrow band CDMA networks still active.

Did you purchase the SIMM in a device or by itself. If it came in a USB stick it will probably auto install in a windows environment and you should be able to pick up the APN from the device software - I have had to do this a few times as most carriers have a variety of APNs for different service classes (prepaid, post paid, iPad, corporate erc)

ulink
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:50 pm

vk7zms

Its a couple of cards I picked up online to bench test with. No USB stick. Only pci-e with sim card. I will locate an 87xx series, perhaps even a usb unit to allow for use in a PC in an effort to identify the correct APN.
Thanks for your assistance. I will update the post as I progress.

jeremyh
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:59 pm

Hello,

I have recently configured a few of the MC8705 cards on 411-5nH boards, using RouterOS 5.18.

I found it extremely problematic, and experienced the same thing as you - unable to enter the info and data channels (same error message as you described), and status continually reading 'reseting link' and 'initializing modem'.

The SOLUTION that I found is to physically unplug the routerboard from power, and then boot it again. I read somewhere that there is a limitation with PCI-e on routerboards where the card cannot properly reboot without power being completely removed.

I found that after a power cycle, I could input the data channels and then could connect no worries.

Also: At least on 5.18, RouterOS does not support DirectIP, so you need to do: /port firmware set ignore-directip-modem=yes, and then disable the lte/3g interface.

Hope this helps you. Please let me know.

ulink
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:02 pm

Thanks for the info JeremyH
Once I get a new card setup on my account I will follow up the post.