Community discussions

MikroTik App

richk
just joined
Topic Author

Beginner: Need help with Load Balancing & Fail Over

Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:53 pm

I am new to Mikrotik and Networking ... and have some basic experience with RB450G running as HotSpot Gateways at some Client Hotels.

Now we have a requirement to upgrade one of our busy hotels from RB450g to RB1100. They currently have a Comcast Cable Internet (50Mbps with 5 Static IPs) and are switching over to 2 connections of 100Mbps each with 10 Static IPs (5 on each connection).

I need some help on how to setup the RB1000 where then the HotSpot will use both the 100 Mbps speeds from WAN1 & WAN2 and also be able to switch to either one in event the other goes down.

I will appreciate any help you can give me (in beginner language).

Thank you

--
Rich K

tws101
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Beginner: Need help with Load Balancing & Fail Over

Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:32 pm

Two ways you can do this....
1. Load Balancing based on source IP (Easy)
2. Round Robin load balancing (Complicated)

Method 2 has plenty of guides regarding it and uses a ton of rules. I will quickly address method 1.

Using IP Firewall Mangle we will mark packets from specific IPs with a routing mark
chain=prerouting specify source IP Action tab Routing Mark (Create a unique name for the routing mark)
You should probably do this for both sets of source IP ranges. Routing marks could be "WAN1" "WAN2" for example.

Now we tell the router what to do with marked traffic IP Routes
We have local routes and distant routes. Local routes are always distance 0 distant routes are 1 or a greater number. (Your two WAN connection are both distant routes) First lets address default behavior. If no route is active that specifies a mark the main routing table is used.

So we copy on of your WAN routes and add check gateway (If the route fails it will be automatically disabled) and one of the two routing marks to the copy... So what did we do. We told it that source IPs with the routing mark "WAN1" (EXAMPLE) will be routed out of the corresponding gateway. Also if the gateway fails the route is removed and a greater distance route with the same mark is used or if none exist the main table is used. (If two routes exist both with same mark and both to different locations the one with shortest distance is active the others are disabled. This is a fail-over.)

So by creating routes that require your routing marks and using the check gateway command you can tell the router to route traffic from specific IP to specific gateways and have backups in place if a gateway is down.

More information
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Load_Bala ... e_Gateways