Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

dmjita
just joined
Topic Author

Mergin 2 far network into one

Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:30 pm

Hi i am trying to merge 2 network using this guide http://blog.butchevans.com/2009/12/how- ... -and-pptp/

my lan look like this

dsl---192.168.1.xxx(lan/ehternet2)router1(wan/ehthernet1)10.0.0.10----10.0.0.11(wan/ethernet1)router2(lan/ehternet2)192.168.1.xxx

A laptop on router2 lan receive ip from dhcp server from dsl , can ping computers on router1 lan side, can explore smb (folders share) but i cant surf the web. I forgot something?

Now the connection between the 2 wan is made by one ethernet cable just for testing.

thanks for anyone is able to help me

deejayq
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Mergin 2 far network into one

Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:36 pm

first of all you can not test butch evans script using an ethernet cable
second of all your topology is wrong

what you want should be like
192.168.1.xxx---[lan-router1-wan]---dsl------internet------dsl/other internet connection---[wan-router2-lan]---192.168.1.yyy
the tunnel must be made between wan ip of router1 and wan ip of router2, and bridging must be made between lan port and pptp-client on router1 and lan port and pptp-server on router2.
pptp-server has to be the router which has public ip configured on wan interface or some portforwarding if the wan interface is behind a dsl modem for example.

dmjita
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:38 pm

Well your diagram is correct in a normal scenario, but is not what i am trying to do. There is no internet connection between the 2 wan port. I am using a cable but it will turn into a wireless connection when all will work.

i will try to explain what i want to do.

192.168.1.xxx(lan/router1/wan)wireless station-----access point-----wireless station(wan/router2/lan)192.168.1.yyy

Wireless will be done with some Ubiquiti wireless product.

Why using a access point? Why dont use wds? the 2 point are not visible and i have to merge few network on the same access point. I thought with this kind of solution i can merge more than a network being able to keep the traffic separated and secured. There is any other solution?

deejayq
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:47 pm

replace
---dsl------internet------dsl/other internet connection---
in my diagram with
wireless station-----access point-----wireless station
in your diagram.
same principle applies
set a pptp-server on one of the routers wan ip, a pptp-client on the other router, connect the pptp-client to the ip address of the pptp-server and then bridge on each router pptp interface with the lan interface.
try doing a traceroute to 8.8.8.8 from a computer connected to the second router.
where does it stop?
can you ping 8.8.8.8 from a computer connected to the second router?
can you access the internet from a computer connected to the first router?

does the access point have security enabled?
why not just bridge wan and lan in each router and lan and wlan in each wireless station?

dmjita
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:06 pm

tracert work fine, I can explore shared folders on router1 lan from a laptop is connected to router 2 lan, but when i open chrome internet explorer or firefox, i cant open any page.
tried to ping dns, tried to ping google. look like work everything fine. I am really stucked. Is really strange.

dmjita
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:50 pm

i solved using this guide http://blog.butchevans.com/2008/09/mikr ... pptp_eoip/
basically is the same, but for now the 2 wan is connected with a ethernet cable, i will try with wireless as soon is possible. Hope this will help other people

dmjita
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:48 pm

Using ubnt Access Point and 2 station the vpn work good, the wireless is working without wds.

How i can set the speed of the vpn ? i don't want to saturate bandwidth.

dmjita
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:23 pm

Found how to limit tx bandwitdh. How many tunnel i can create?