Community discussions

Sigma721
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

PPPOE

Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:26 am

Hi everyone

I would like to run two PPPOE clients on my RB751 and use one of the DSL accounts(one of the PPPOE connections) for You Tube traffic and the other PPPOE connection for all other traffic.
I have had a look around but don't really know what I am looking for. Could someone maybe point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance

NAB
Trainer
Trainer

Re: PPPOE

Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:40 am

I suspect that you're not going to be able to do that. If one PPPoE connection is to your ISP (DSL), where is the second one connected?
Nicholas Barnes BSc(hons)
Certified Mikrotik Consultant
Certified Mikrotik Trainer

Vitell - Asterisk, Linux and network consultants
Unofficial IRC channel: #routerboard on irc.z.je

Sigma721
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

PPPOE

Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:16 pm

I have 2 different ISP's. My main one and then a second one that will be used purely for You Tube(as it is a "free" service from my 2nd ISP - Doesn't form part of my data usage/cap)

NAB
Trainer
Trainer

Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:47 pm

I am sorry - I completely misread your initial post. For some strange reason I got it into my head that you wanted to run two PPPoE sessions on on interface. Doh!

Now that I've read it properly, what you want to do is a piece of cake - in fact it's what we I do at home right now.

You just plug your xDSL modems into two of the ports and set up the PPPoE accounts one per port. Don't add default routes - set all your routing up manually.

Then it's just a case of finding the connections you want to go out one way, marking them and then applying routing rules accordingly.

How far have you got so far?
Nicholas Barnes BSc(hons)
Certified Mikrotik Consultant
Certified Mikrotik Trainer

Vitell - Asterisk, Linux and network consultants
Unofficial IRC channel: #routerboard on irc.z.je

Sigma721
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:14 pm

No problem. Thanks for the replies.

I only have one DSL Modem, so I wanted to set it up in bridge mode and do the PPPOE dial ups on my RB751. Is this possible?

I am still finding my way around all this networking, and not sure how to go about the routing you are referring to. Could you explain some more or tell me where to read up on it? I have done some basic routes for PPTP and masquerade firewall rules(thats all).

Thanks alot!

CelticComms
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:09 pm

Does your provider support a method for multiple PPPoE sessions on the same DSL modem? That can be problematic if the PPPoE clients need to use broadcast to discover the MAC address of the concentrator.
Interlynx | Networking and Information Security Consultants & Trainers | Email: routerlynx@gmail.com
BGP | EIGRP | OSPF | MPLS | Firewall | VPN | IPsec | Multicast | QOS | IPv4/6 | STP | VLAN | PON | AE | M2M | and more!

Sigma721
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

PPPOE

Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:40 pm

Hey, if I put the DSL router in bridge mode I can dial multiple pppoe connections from different computers on the LAN through the one modem. Not sure if that answers the question?

CelticComms
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:57 pm

Typical ISP PPPoE connections use a broadcast initially to determine the MAC address of the access concentrator. In caseswhere there is only one service available it is not necessary to know the AC name when setting up a connection. If you want to connect to multiple ACs over a single link then you need a way of selecting the correct AC for each account - the AC name can be used to do that if the access provider supports it.

If both your PPPoE accounts tell you the AC name then it may be possible to configure both PPPoE clients on the same interface. RouterOS also has a PPPoE scan feature (available as you create a new PPPoE interface) which allows you to see what ACs respond to a discovery request.
Interlynx | Networking and Information Security Consultants & Trainers | Email: routerlynx@gmail.com
BGP | EIGRP | OSPF | MPLS | Firewall | VPN | IPsec | Multicast | QOS | IPv4/6 | STP | VLAN | PON | AE | M2M | and more!