MUM Europe 2020

efaden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

QOS/Throttle for Home User

Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:02 am

Hey,

So I have a RouterBoard that I am going to run my home network with. Right now I also have a NAS behind my firewall that backs up every 4 hours with another NAS at another location. My question is:

Is it possible to setup a QOS/Throttle such that if there is nothing else going on on my network my NAS can use the full upload and download bandwidth, but if I try to browse the web, stream a video, etc my traffic would get priority and the NAS would get throttled? Which would be the correct feature to use for this?

-Eric

MCT
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: QOS/Throttle for Home User

Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:26 am

It is possible, but I'm a bit rusty on Mikrotik right now. If no one replies I'll look it up and post how to do it.

efaden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:24 pm

It is possible, but I'm a bit rusty on Mikrotik right now. If no one replies I'll look it up and post how to do it.
Sounds good. Thanks.

efaden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:21 pm

Looks like not many other responses. If you get a chance and can provide some guidance I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

-Eric

deejayq
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:00 pm

this can be done via connection/packet marking and queue tree, setting priorities
you mark the traffic coming from your NAS, you mark the traffic not coming from your NAS
you mark the traffic going to your NAS, you mark the traffic not going to your NAS
marking i think it must be done in postrouting if you have a NAT environment
in queue tree you set a parent queue with the limit at about 90-95% of your download speed and a parent queue with the limit at about 90-95% of your upload speed
you create two queues in each of the parent queues, one for NAS download, one for not NAS download, one for NAS upload, one for not NAS upload. asign both download queues inside the download parent queue the same speed as the parent queue, do the same for the upload queues.
use priorities in the child queues, priority 1 for traffic not from/to your NAS and 2 for traffic from/toyour NAS.

efaden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:01 am

this can be done via connection/packet marking and queue tree, setting priorities
you mark the traffic coming from your NAS, you mark the traffic not coming from your NAS
you mark the traffic going to your NAS, you mark the traffic not going to your NAS
marking i think it must be done in postrouting if you have a NAT environment
in queue tree you set a parent queue with the limit at about 90-95% of your download speed and a parent queue with the limit at about 90-95% of your upload speed
you create two queues in each of the parent queues, one for NAS download, one for not NAS download, one for NAS upload, one for not NAS upload. asign both download queues inside the download parent queue the same speed as the parent queue, do the same for the upload queues.
use priorities in the child queues, priority 1 for traffic not from/to your NAS and 2 for traffic from/toyour NAS.
I'll give that a try. Thanks. My only issue is that I actually don't really know my download speed. It's time warner and it never winds up testing at what they claim it is... sometimes its faster and sometimes slower.... its really just a mystery.