MikroTik App

efaden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Simple Tree vs Queue Tree for Home Network QOS

Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:08 am

Hey,

I have a network with a RAID storage array on it. It connects every 4 hours and syncs with an off site RAID array over SSH. The RAID array is on 10.0.0.40. What I want to do is ensure that when a backup is running my web browsing, etc isn't slowed down. I have some rules setup to mark the connects and the packets both to and from the RAID and also everything else. My question is what would be the simplest way to setup a queue such that my "other" traffic would get prioritized over the RAID? My connection is generally about 15/1, but sometimes is a little faster (especially the downstream).

Suggestions? Thanks.

-Eric

joshaven

Re: Simple Tree vs Queue Tree for Home Network QOS

Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:01 am

I would use the queue tree. Set a queue on your WAN interface then two child queues one for the sync data and the other for everything else. Then you'll need to add packet marks in the post routing chain of the mangle feature so that you can identify the traffic to match it up to the queues. Set the regular traffic for a worse priority like 8 and the sync data for a better priority like 1

efaden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:37 am

I would use the queue tree. Set a queue on your WAN interface then two child queues one for the sync data and the other for everything else. Then you'll need to add packet marks in the post routing chain of the mangle feature so that you can identify the traffic to match it up to the queues. Set the regular traffic for a worse priority like 8 and the sync data for a better priority like 1
Thanks.... I think the priorities are backwards. I want my regular traffic to take priority over the sync traffic... :-)

joshaven

Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:51 am

Thanks.... I think the priorities are backwards. I want my regular traffic to take priority over the sync traffic... :-)
Sorry, I didn't read carefully enough. Your right I did list the priorities for sync over regular.