Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

CorrectUsername
just joined
Topic Author

PPPoE reconnect delay

Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:02 pm

Sometimes provider's PPPoE server is down. If so, Mikrotik will constantly tries to connect. So, log is full of strings "dialing", "disconnecting"... I want add delay between tries. How to do it?
Sorry for bad English, please.

CorrectUsername
just joined
Topic Author

Re: PPPoE reconnect delay

Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:24 pm

UP

Today the provider's PPPoE server down for a few hours. When I come home and look the router's log, I have see no more than "infinite" list of "dialing" and "disconnectiong".

IMHO, there is no reason to instantly do a new try to PPPoE connect if previous is failed. The reasons of a connections fail usually (I think) are invalid password, server down, a link problem, etc. These cannot be solved just using instantly connection retries. It's better to do some delay before next try (better if it's constantly increased, e.g. as power of 2: 1s, 2s, 4s... up to a user-defined maximal delay). Or (in the simplest way) just a constant non-zero user-defined delay between tries.
Sorry for bad English, please.

RB951G2HnD

Re: PPPoE reconnect delay

Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:26 pm

I think that keepalive-timeout (time; Default: "10") should care about this. But I'm not sure and asked a question.

Description:
Defines the time period (in seconds) after which the router is starting to send keepalive packets every second. If no traffic and no keepalive responses came for that period of time (i.e. 2 * keepalive-timeout), not responding client is proclaimed disconnected.

Am I right that that if router (PPPoE client) wouldn't be receiving reply from PPPoE server after 10 seconds then PPPoE client will initiate an attempt for a reconnection state? And if PPPoE connection was lost it will reconnects automatically in 10 seconds.
---------------
Andrew