Community discussions

zoran
just joined
Topic Author

Two SSID-s on RB 951-2n

Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:19 pm

Hi All,

we just purchased RouterBoard 951-2n, and it looks like excellent device.

Thought, I have a problem configuring 2 SSID-s.

What I want is to configure this device to give access to the (existing) local network to WiFi users, such as:
- "work" SSID - users connected to it would get access to both existing local network and internet
- "guest" SSID - users connected to it would get access only to internet (and not to the local network).

Since I don't want that users connected to it go through NAT, I configured the router as "Bridge", with one IP adress for the WLAN interface on the existing local network.

I use the Quick Setup page to configure the device as "Bridge" and "AP", and after setting the SSID and using the default security profile, I can get users connecting to the "work" SSID, getting their IP's from the existing DHCP server on the local network - so far so good.

But, when I add an "Virtual AP", and configure SSID for it, and the security profile for it, no clients (I tried Ubuntu and Android) can connect to it. This is so even if I configure the security as open (not protected). I even tried adding the IP for the Virtual AP - no luck, clients cannot connect. I can see little traffic on the Virtual AP while the clients are "negotiating" - and that's it!

I am fiddeling with this for a few days already, tried google-ing, resetting the router's configuration several times - no luck.

What am I missing?

Thanks in advance, and regards!

CelticComms
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Two SSID-s on RB 951-2n

Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:07 pm

Which version of RouterOS?
Interlynx | Networking and Information Security Consultants & Trainers | Email: routerlynx@gmail.com
BGP | EIGRP | OSPF | MPLS | Firewall | VPN | IPsec | Multicast | QOS | IPv4/6 | STP | VLAN | PON | AE | M2M | and more!

nickshore

Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:41 pm

Did you add a dhcp server to the virtual AP ?
Nick Shore MTCNA MTCWE MTCRE MTCINE MTCTCE
LinITX.com - MultiThread Consultants
Get your MikroTik RBs and Training: http://linitx.com/brand/mikrotik
Official UK MikroTik Distributor
IRC chan: #routerboard on irc.z.je (IPv4 and IPv6)

zoran
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:34 pm

The version is 6.2. (newest)

I don't need DHCP, since I have DHCP server on the existing network. And DHCP should not not prevent a client to connect on WiFi, and that is what the case is - the clients never get connected.

uldis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:07 pm

contact support@mikrotik.com and attach support output file.

haik01

Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:33 pm

Why not run a Hotspot on the 951? IP -> Hotspot....

Here with pictures:

http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Hotspot_server_setup

SurferTim
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:42 pm

Why not run a Hotspot on the 951? IP -> Hotspot....
If the network doesn't work without a hotspot, it won't work with one.

edit: I was interrupted by work. You should post "/ip address" and "/ip route" to start.

Neilson
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:08 am

Have you either setup routing or bridging for the virtual AP interface. Remember it is a separate logical interface with its own settings.

What you probably need to do is either bridge it to your internal network (use existing DHCP) however this means those clients on the guest network can then access your internal network.

Or you could add a DHCP server onto the Virtual AP. Give out some private range addressed and SRC-nat them. Then just create a firewall filter blocking the access to your internal range. And then they can just use the internet itself.

Regards
Alexander