Community discussions

MikroTik App

ShakeyJake
just joined
Topic Author

Newbie: Changing IP addresses and port forwarding.

Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:38 pm

Morning all,

I recently bought a 915G-2HnD and I've been reading a few tutorials and things online and so far I've got it almost set up. It's running as an access point in my study, but I think it's a bit over complicated for the job and I'm struggling to whittle down the multitude of options to what I actually want. Ethernet 1 is connected via a long cable to our talktalk router, and then 2 is my desktop, 3 a htpc and 4 a server in the study. It's also providing wifi for a few devices in this side of the house where the talktalk box can't reach.

The ap comes out the box with the address 192.186.88.1 and hands out addresses in the .88.XXX range, how can I change that to give out static addresses in the .2.XX range? I have a few devices in the house that all point to the server and they expect a static address of .2.210. I have tried changing the ip address pool and the dhcp settings but each time I end up leaving the router uncontactable, so I'm obviously not doing it right!

Secondly, as a linux user I do a lot of torrenting for distros and the like, can I open a port (say 50000) so that deluge can torrent unhindered?

As I've said, I have been looking online for this help, so sorry if these are questions that have been answered elsewhere, I have tried to look I promise!

Thanks in advance,
Jack
Last edited by ShakeyJake on Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

deejayq
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Newbie: Chaning IP addresses and port forwarding.

Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:52 pm

i think a diagram would help
the 192.168.2.x ip class is shared with other devices? let's say from the talktalk?

ShakeyJake
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Newbie: Chaning IP addresses and port forwarding.

Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:43 pm

Thanks for your response, DeeJay

I have drawn an (admittedly crude!) diagram that details the situation. My girlfriend is a professional artist and would be furious if she saw this:

Basically, the house is too big and too ancient for the wifi to get very far through the walls. The living room router has a pc and a few other devices in it that use the wifi, plus a Sky+ box that is cabled. These are all connected to the TalkTalk router that issues IP addresses in the 192.188.1.X range.

This router is cabled through the walls to my access point which was up until recently a Edimax EW-7228Apn. I liked this unit generally but it was dying a slow death, dropping connections and freezing up and such. I wanted something more professional and hard wearing (plus GbE) so that's why I went routerboard. This access point in this room is now the aforementioned routerboard which has the ethernet cable from the TalkTalk box in port 1, my PC in 2, the HTPC in 3 and the server in 4. I also use the wifi for my phone and tablet.

I used to have my AP issue addresses in the 192.168.2.X range, with the wifi on DHCP and the machines static. They were:
PC - 192.168.2.205
HTPC - .215
Server - .210
Further to this, the AP itself was at 2.1

I also have the Talk Talk router downstairs set to allow port forwarding on my torrent port, but again I can't figure out how to ensure that this stays open on the Routerboard AP.

Any help anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated!
Jack

CTrain
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Newbie: Changing IP addresses and port forwarding.

Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:07 am

Making an access point out of the router board is reasonably easy I will talk you through the winbox step to avoid any problems you may have with the terminal.

Step 1

Create a bridge of the ethernet ports and wlan of the routerboard. If you require wire speed switching and the routerboard supports it configure the master port under interfaces -> interface name to be the same port for all ether on the hardware switch chip (except the port you have chosen to assign master too lets say ether 2). By going switch -> port you will be able to see what interfaces are on which switches.
Then add the master ports (my best guess I don't own the same router board as you ether1,ether2,wlan1) to the bridge.

Step 2

Have zero firewall rules

Step 3
IP -> DHCP client set on Bridge 1 (allow it to set the default route)
IP -> DHCP Server is disabled (Blank)

Step 4

Ensure that the default route of 0.0.0.0/0 is set by the DHCP client under IP->Routes

Step 5
Set up the wireless

Wireless -> Interfaces -> wlan1 ensure that the mode is AP-Bridge and fill out the other details to your network i.e. SSID , and frequency to an empty freq.

Wireless -> Security Profiles -> default set with your PSK and encryption method

Step 6 test

It should now be working let me know if it doesn't
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ShakeyJake
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Newbie: Changing IP addresses and port forwarding.

Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:01 pm

Hi CTrain, thanks for your guide!

I've actually managed to sort that thanks to your instructions but for some reason the router still wants to hand out wrong addresses, I'm fine either having the routerboard hand out static, set ip addresses or at this point I'm happy to just let the talktalk box do it.