Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

dpasch
just joined
Topic Author

noob help- 2 wan's

Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:28 pm

ok, so for some reason im having an issue with creating two wans, i would like to have port1 and port 5 as the gateways, one is going to be straight Ethernet to a modem and the other is going to be Ethernet to airfiber the airfiber being the failover, my issue is i cant get the second wan to work, im missing a step somewhere. if i pull the cable for the 1st wan is doesnt switch over to the airfiber. Im using winbox to connect to the router and this is where im probably making a mistake, i thought maybe you had to change settings in the intrerfaces for that but dont see the option. i used the wiki for dual wan setup in terminal but no go.

two questions
can i have both wan's with the same network mask or do i have to have one different then the other and actually a more important question would be do i really need to wans? as the airfiber is technically just a link to one central point? ill explain this one. the first wan is from building A to building B to building C to building D connection wise. but the airfiber is building A as the central point and all others having a separate link to building A.

dpasch
just joined
Topic Author

Re: noob help- 2 wan's

Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:31 pm

i figured out my mistake, i didnt have the nat table setup for the 5th port so it wouldnt give me anything

deejayq
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:56 pm

post a diagram

dpasch
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:33 pm

ok so here is a terrible network diagram but to give you a idea.the airfibers point to one central location each building has a lan connection already but at time of installation this was not provided. as of right now we are running just on the airfiber, but we would like to have it run through the lan and have the air fiber as backup. i cant give info on what the lans are as we are still waiting to hear that. i thought i had it licked the other day but its not working .so, but i believe that is due to me testing this on a single network and not having two separate networks ( testing long before install as its working fine as is but we would prefer backup.

the way i set it up yesterday was this

address list

10.10.10.86/24 network 10.10.10.0 ethernet1 gateway
10.10.10.89/24 network 10.10.10.0 thernet5 gateway2
10.0.3.1/24 network 10.0.3.0 ethernet2 master

then in firewalls on the nat i added
ethernet1 as a mascarade
ethernet5 as a mascarade

then in the routes i added 10.0.0.0 ethernet1&ethernet5 with check ping distance 1

i can get it work work if i disable one or the other networks in the address list.

im assuming im going about this all wrong, my thoughts are isnt not a wan that i need right now im alittle stumped
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

deejayq
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:17 pm

assuming A, B, C, D are locations (each having a routeros equipment) what are the blue lines, the dotted lines and the yellow/orange line?

dpasch
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:32 pm

sorry i forgot to mention what those were, blue line would be lan connection green is the airfiber and the yellow is internet line, hence why im thinking i dont need two wans ( if i was to put the airfibers on the same network mask) i just need to make sure i have a failover if say the lan drops it would switch to the airfiber

deejayq
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:16 am

what you need imo are bridges with stp enabled and small path cost set on the ports in which lan cables are connected (the path with the smallest path cost is the preferred path).
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Interface/Bridge

dpasch
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:05 pm

thanks deejay i was looking into a bridge but wasnt 100% sure if it would work for what i would need.