Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

pradeepsekar
just joined
Topic Author

New RB951G-2HnD bricked? [Solved with Netinstall]

Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:04 pm

Just got a new RB951G-2HnD today. Downloaded and copied routeros-mipsbe-6.5.npk to the root folder using Winbox, and rebooted the router by power cycling.

When I power on the device, it does beep. When I connect an Ethernet wire, the corresponding light comes on, and the computer identifies the link speed as 100Mbps (static IP 192.168.88.7/24 configured on desktop).

However, the device is not being detected by Winbox or NetInstall. Have tried rebooting and resetting the device multiple times. No response from the device at all.

Is the firmware corrupt? Have I bricked the device... Any suggestions how I can recover it...

Thanks for your help!!

RB951G2HnD

Re: New RB951G-2HnD bricked?

Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:15 pm

I believe that your router board is not dead after the upgrade. You may try to disable a firewall on your PC and try again to use a Winbox. If it does not help then you may try to restore a factory default settings. In that case you will be needed to insert a pin into the 'reset' hole then connect a power cable to the router and wait about 10 seconds. After that you may remove pin and the router will continue booting up. In the end you should be able to see a blinking WiFi led. If WiFi led is blinking then try to connect to you router again.
---------------
Andrew

pradeepsekar
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:03 am

Thanks! I did try that. The router remains dead. The ACT Light blinks a few times on powering on, with the reset PIN pressed. Then there is a beep, and then the same status - no wifi, no response from any interface.

Have also tried disabling the firewall and AV and tried with Winbox (Port 2) as well as NetInstall Netboot (Port 1). Mikrotik support also suggested disabling the firewall and AV. But the status remains the same - an unresponsive router... :-(

Is there anything else you think I could try... And thanks again for your help and support!

RB951G2HnD

Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:28 am

You may try to use port 3. If it's will be the same then ask Mikrotik Support person if it's possible to recover somehow after the incorrect flashing during the upgrade. Probably you will be needed to send your box to they service center.
---------------
Andrew

RB951G2HnD

Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:55 am

Another one point. I think that your bootloader may have the incorrect version for the installed firmware and needs to be upgraded also. More information: http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/RouterBOA ... er_upgrade
---------------
Andrew

DAllen
just joined

Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:36 am

I had exactly this error, good news is, it's not bricked (mostly).

You need to follow the instructions for netinstall, set it up to boot from network location (there's plenty of documentation on how to use netinstall to do this). Power on the Mikrotik whilst keeping the reset port shorted and the device should appear in netinstall. It took me a few goes and then I had absolutely no base config, good learning experience rebuilding from scratch.

Good luck.

pradeepsekar
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:11 pm

Success! My Mikrotik is back in working condition!! Thank you all

RB951G2HnD, Thank you so much for your guidance.

Dallen, You gave me the most important ingredient - hope... Mikrotik support just left me hanging with "Use NetInstall". But hearing your story made me try try and try till it worked...

Let me post what I did so that anyone else with the same problem may be able to fix it themselves.
a) Disable Firewall
b) Connect PC to Port 1 on Mikrotik
c) Disable all other network interfaces on the PC - LAN, Wireless, Virtualbox
d) Set static IP of 192.168.88.3 subnet mask 255.255.255.0 gateway 192.168.88.1 on PC
e) Run NetInstall
f) Select "Net Booting"
g) Mark "Boot Serve Enabled"
h) Selected Client IP address of 192.168.88.1
i) Keep reset pressed while powering on
j) Keep holding the reset pin till a beep sounds. Release immediately
k) Router showed up in Netinstall's list (**)
l) Unmarked "Keep old configuration" and "Configure Script"
m) Unzipped "all_packages-mipsbe-6.5.zip"
n) Selected all packages by browsing to the unzipped directory and using the "Select All" button
o) Clicked on "Install"
p) The progress bar moved to 100% as the packages were uploaded (**)
q) The router rebooted - Beep once, some time later (1 min or so if I recollect) a second beep

After a while after the second beep short (30 secs or so if I recollect) , the wireless light turned on, and the router configuration was as clean as the day I unpacked it (just 6 days ago!).

The nightmare was in steps (k) and (p) both marked with (**). The router would just not show up in NetInstall's list - must have tried it 30 times before this worked - But once I got it to work, it started working every time. And then after Clicking on "install" the router status would go to "Installing" and then to "Ready" without doing anything - no idea why the installation worked properly after 20 times of trying!

Irrespective, my router is back to being better than new - now upgraded to the later version of OS, and now with some additional packages!

Thanks you for your help and encouragement. Made all the difference for a beginner like me!

Now I need to get my production network running with dual-WAN and VPN...

Best regards,
Pradeep

Bi11
just joined

Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:56 am

ROS 6.5 bricked my RB951G-2HnD too, with updating from 5.26 .

I've upgraded from 5.26 to 6.4, downgraded back to 5.26.
But upgrading from 5.26 to 6.5 makes RB951G-2HnD bricked.

Since 6.5 has some issues to me so I want to downgrade back to 5.26, but I'm afraid it bricked again when I upgrade it to 6.5 or 6.6 again.

Could you please fix it in the next version? Recovering it from brick takes a lot of time to re-setup all configures, users and meta-routers.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:00 am

Since 6.5 has some issues to me so I want to downgrade back to 5.26, but I'm afraid it bricked again when I upgrade it to 6.5 or 6.6 again.

Could you please fix it in the next version? Recovering it from brick takes a lot of time to re-setup all configures, users and meta-routers.
Which RouterBOOT version do you have? And can you send us your supout.rif file from v5.26 before you make the upgrade?
No answer to your question? How to write posts

Bi11
just joined

Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:26 pm

Which RouterBOOT version do you have? And can you send us your supout.rif file from v5.26 before you make the upgrade?
I upgraded routerboard firmware from 3.08 to 3.10 after I recovered the RB from netinstall v6.5 packages.
I can't find older supout.rif, and metarouter configs are lost after upgrade.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: New RB951G-2HnD bricked? [Solved with Netinstall]

Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:07 am

I successfully managed to upgrade several different devices to v. 6.5 from v. 5.25. Some of them did not even had 5.25, so I:

1) put only necessary packages (of v. 5.25 if lower version was in the device) into files by dragging from the folder to winbox
2) pressed system - reboot, confirm.
3) upgraded firmware (routerboard - upgrade, reboot)

Then repeated with v. 6.5 the same steps.

I did it with non-critical devices to check how it will be working, because I had several times problems to successfully work with older v. 6.x. But v 6.5 seems to work good so far...

No bricking, no problems. After some days of testing and checking that all scripts would work on v 6.5 I am going to upgrade the rest.

delmadord
just joined

Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:22 pm

a) Disable Firewall
d) Set static IP of 192.168.88.3 subnet mask 255.255.255.0 gateway 192.168.88.1 on PC
e) Run NetInstall
f) Select "Net Booting"
n) Selected all packages by browsing to the unzipped directory and using the "Select All" button
o) Clicked on "Install"
q) The router rebooted - Beep once, some time later (1 min or so if I recollect) a second beep
I can confirm that after struggling with router not showing up in the netinstall, following these steps exactly made it work on the first go. I used `sudo wine netinstall.exe` on Linux, not windows.

RayToler
just joined

Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:59 pm

Dallen, You gave me the most important ingredient - hope... Mikrotik support just left me hanging with "Use NetInstall". But hearing your story made me try try and try till it worked...

Let me post what I did so that anyone else with the same problem may be able to fix it themselves.
a) Disable Firewall
e) Run NetInstall
f) Select "Net Booting"
o) Clicked on "Install"

After a while after the second beep short (30 secs or so if I recollect) , the wireless light turned on, and the router configuration was as clean as the day I unpacked it (just 6 days ago!).
This process still works as of April 2015, using mipsbe v 6.27 and netinstall 6.27.

I had one variation from Pradeep's list that I wanted to note in case someone else runs across this thread. I got two new units yesterday, one of which was bricked out of the box.

After following steps E-Q above multiple times, I had varying levels of "almost" success. Eventually, the router started acting like it was successfully rebooting, but instead of the single beep noted in Q, I was getting a quick double-beep. This happened both after the netinstall procedure and if just rebooting without anything connected. The wireless light never turned on.

I noted that step L didn't mention the "Default configuration" option, which was unchecked, so I enabled that. (None of the screenshots I've looked up show that option, so I'm guessing it's a recent addition). The router rebooted successfully, the wireless light came on, and I was able to see the configuration web page.

Thanks to everyone in this thread for the help!

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:22 am

Just to add - NEVER select "ALL" packages on RouterBOARD devices. Many of them have little space available, better check only the packages you know you need. Usually for basic operation you need system, advanced tools, wireless - maybe something specific, but that's it. routing package is only for dynamic routing, and ntp is only for server, so you mostly don't need to install these.
No answer to your question? How to write posts

technonotux

Sat May 30, 2015 2:36 pm

Hi, Pradeep

Your trick worked !!!

Thank you

a) Disable Firewall
e) Run NetInstall
f) Select "Net Booting"
o) Clicked on "Install"

The nightmare was in steps (k) and (p) both marked with (**). The router would just not show up in NetInstall's list - must have tried it 30 times before this worked - But once I got it to work, it started working every time. And then after Clicking on "install" the router status would go to "Installing" and then to "Ready" without doing anything - no idea why the installation worked properly after 20 times of trying!

Irrespective, my router is back to being better than new - now upgraded to the later version of OS, and now with some additional packages!

Thanks you for your help and encouragement. Made all the difference for a beginner like me!

Now I need to get my production network running with dual-WAN and VPN...

Best regards,
Pradeep

anuppoudel45
just joined

Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:34 pm

my sxt 2hnd is bricked...after powering the user led and power button glows non stop along with two other led's......is there a way to fix it or its damaged?

purana

Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:35 pm

I had exactly this error, good news is, it's not bricked (mostly).

You need to follow the instructions for netinstall, set it up to boot from network location (there's plenty of documentation on how to use netinstall to do this). Power on the Mikrotik whilst keeping the reset port shorted and the device should appear in netinstall. It took me a few goes and then I had absolutely no base config, good learning experience rebuilding from scratch.

Good luck.
I had to do this process too. Took me about 2-3 attempts to get the timing right and have the unit show up. It also helps to know which interface you need to be hooked upto depending on which model you might be doing netinstall on. But process certainly works well.

purana

Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:36 pm

Just to add - NEVER select "ALL" packages on RouterBOARD devices.
I believe you have a wiki article that talks about this. I should probably go find and link it here.

Genkun

Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:15 pm

I Guess you were referring to this link?

http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:System/Packages

Thanks for the advice.
It worked for me wonderfully.

The only difference was that the unit got bricked by installing a backup that had features enabled not support by the RouterOS version, as the OS was not upgraded first. The initial backup was created in RouterOS 6.29.1 and the device had 6.23 on at the time.

I selected the standard 3, advanced-tools, system & wireless, as prescribed by Normis.
Also I had to select -keep old configuration.
For some reason it refused to install with deleting the old config.

This was on a Mikrotik BaseBox

mzeeshan
just joined

Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:58 am

I just received MikroTik RB951Ui-2HnD from one of my friend to setup the hotspot with it.
Well during my experiments (which included firmware upgrade to 6.33.5) somehow I bricked it.
Google search landed me on this page. I tried everything mentioned here but my modem never picked up by netinstall.exe
After some more search on net I finally succeeded.
I thought it would be interesting to share the whole procedure in following simple steps:

How to unbrick MikroTik RB951Ui-2HnD

You must first have downloaded these:
1. netinstall.exe
2. and the required firmware (eg. routeros-mipsbe-6.33.5.npk) from MicroTik website.

Of course your modem must be hooked up with PC through LAN cable.
Use 'port 1' (labelled PoE In) on your modem.

1. Disable your PC's Firewall and Antivirus.
2. Disable all ethernet adapters (eg. VMWare, Wifi etc)
3. But left enable only ONE ethernet adapter which we are using to connect the modem with the PC.
4. Set the adapter's IP to: 10.0.0.1 and subnet mask to 255.255.255.0 (Leave rest of the settings blank)
5. Run netinstall.exe
6. In Net Booting option: Check Enable Boot Server & set client IP as: 10.0.0.2
7. Now boot your modem while pressing the reset button for at least 15 seconds (until activity indicator turns off) then let it go. This will reboot your modem (with a single beep after a few seconds) with netinstall search.
8. The MAC address will appear in netinstall. Select it.
9. Select your firmware (which you must have already downloaded).
10. Check Apply default config.
11. Hit install and after a while (a few seconds) press reboot (if appears). Done!
12. Don't forget to revert all of the adapter changes you made in previous steps (2-4)

This is how I got my modem back to work. :)
Hope it will help you.

Thanks
Dr. Zeeshan
25 Jan 2016

Ferrograph
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:27 pm

If you're struggling to get it to show in netinstall, try an isolated switch in between. Struggled for an eternity with this then put in a call to LinITX my local supplier, and they suggested timing of the port on windows might be an issue. Put a switch in and it showed first time.

Saleh9416
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:27 am

i'm having the same issue and i tried everything but nothing!

i tried netinstall and it says installing then ready several times!!

HELP

Edit: Never mind! solved by simply exiting netinstall and start it again

iceman1hu
just joined

Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:45 pm

I have tried more than 30 times pradeep's trick on a Linux box, but the router is not showed in the netinst.

However there are some kind of comm communication between the PC and the router, because when I start sudo wine netinst.exe in an xterm, after I powering on the router while I pressing the reset after around 20 secs it writes:

recv bytes: 300
opcode: 1
htype: 1
hlen: 6
hops: 0
xid: 48463be9
secs: 0
unused: 0
ciaddr: 0.0.0.0
yiaddr: 0.0.0.0
siaddr: 0.0.0.0
giaddr: 0.0.0.0
chaddr: e4:8d:8c:93:39:9a:
sname: (64)
file: (128)
cookie: 63538263
3c 09 4d 69 70 73 5f 62 6f 6f 74 ff 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 28 92 c4 7b 00 00 00 00 02 00 00 00 vend:

REQ RECEIVED:
ENTERING TFTP LOOP

Then after 5 secs it adds:

TFTP timeout

Furthermore, I did not hear any beep after powering or after these messages appears on the terminal.

Any further idea?

Matess
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:53 pm

Hello,
I have a simmilar problem. Yesterday I upgraded ROS on RB911 connected to RB Omnitik UP. During upgrade there was power failure and routerboard is bricked. I Can make a reboot from omnitik. I also tried EoIP tunel and Netinstall to that port, but it seems, that rb911 wont boot from ethernet without reset pressed during boot. Is there any way to force boot from ethernet without physical acces to that device (it is not possible to get there during winter)

Matess

mac86
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:19 am

I just received MikroTik RB951Ui-2HnD from one of my friend to setup the hotspot with it.
Well during my experiments (which included firmware upgrade to 6.33.5) somehow I bricked it.
Google search landed me on this page. I tried everything mentioned here but my modem never picked up by netinstall.exe
After some more search on net I finally succeeded.
I thought it would be interesting to share the whole procedure in following simple steps:

How to unbrick MikroTik RB951Ui-2HnD

You must first have downloaded these:
1. netinstall.exe
2. and the required firmware (eg. routeros-mipsbe-6.33.5.npk) from MicroTik website.

Of course your modem must be hooked up with PC through LAN cable.
Use 'port 1' (labelled PoE In) on your modem.

1. Disable your PC's Firewall and Antivirus.
2. Disable all ethernet adapters (eg. VMWare, Wifi etc)
3. But left enable only ONE ethernet adapter which we are using to connect the modem with the PC.
4. Set the adapter's IP to: 10.0.0.1 and subnet mask to 255.255.255.0 (Leave rest of the settings blank)
5. Run netinstall.exe
6. In Net Booting option: Check Enable Boot Server & set client IP as: 10.0.0.2
7. Now boot your modem while pressing the reset button for at least 15 seconds (until activity indicator turns off) then let it go. This will reboot your modem (with a single beep after a few seconds) with netinstall search.
8. The MAC address will appear in netinstall. Select it.
9. Select your firmware (which you must have already downloaded).
10. Check Apply default config.
11. Hit install and after a while (a few seconds) press reboot (if appears). Done!
12. Don't forget to revert all of the adapter changes you made in previous steps (2-4)

This is how I got my modem back to work. :)
Hope it will help you.

Thanks
Dr. Zeeshan
25 Jan 2016
THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH !!!!!

I've fixed two RB912 (BaseBox5) . Thank you very much.
http://www.netpro-ar.com
MTINE - MTCWE - MTCRE - MTCTCE - MTCNA
Patagonia Argentina IT Consultant

Mikrotik user from V2.7.7 - Aug/2003

areanod
just joined

Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:17 pm

And then after Clicking on "install" the router status would go to "Installing" and then to "Ready" without doing anything - no idea why the installation worked properly after 20 times of trying!
I could reproduce that problem while trying to unbrick my RB750Gr3 :)

I had the exakt same issues on two PCs, one Windows 10, the other Windows 7. I managed to make the update work on the 7-machine by closing and restarting the application (netinstall) after the pxe-boot of the RB was successful.

When trying to install the Image on the Routerboard without restarting the application the status would change to "Installing" for a fraction of a second, vanish all together and reappear as "Ready" again.

I didn't try this on the Windows 10 machine but i guess the result would be the same.

BR

weixvenum

Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:58 pm

Hi,

This is still working uptill now..its 2018 hahaha

my only issue now is..the router cant get any internet... i have HAP AC Lite RB952ui-5ac2nd... this should be plug and play right? it did not work...so i followed instruction on how to do the quick setup..in winbox... my setup is...i have the modem...from my internet provider...then a TPLink router...then from TPLink to this Hap AC Lite...cables are working fine since i was using it for my computer from the TPLink... but as i check my network setting on my windows 7 pc...no connection between the router and internet...though the pc is able to communicate with the router since im able to open the winbox and do settings..im not expert with mikrotik this my first time to have it..can you help me? i havent tried connecting the HAP AC lite direct to the modem though and see if it will work...i have assigned a specific IP for the HAP AC Lite to my TPLink just incase it wants the static..and as i see in in winbox its able to get the static...

help please

weixvenum

Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:52 pm

This is resolved by netinstall, juat search it to one of the forums here. Thanks

Iveky3
just joined

Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:21 pm

Hello,
after unbricking and getting device running again, do you need to install licence key or?
Thx