MikroTik App

yngndrw
just joined
Topic Author

Line-bonding over 3G connections

Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:56 am

Hi All,

I'm totally new to RouterOS.

First of all, a little back story. We have moved into a new house and British Telecoms have been extremely incompetent at setting up a phone line and broadband. After three months we have a phone line but still no broadband. In the mean time we have been using 3G by tethering our Samsung Galaxy S4's (With Three's "The One Plan" which allows unlimited data and tethering but does not allow USB dongle usage.) which has been quite good but we would like to take it a step further.

There are a couple of things we are trying. The first is to use Ubiquiti AirGrid M2s to connect to a friend's house which is a mile - He has Virgin so we can just pay the difference for him to get a better package and use that. The issue is that there are taller buildings in the path so I don't have a high level of confidence in that experiment, but we will try it just in case.

The second is to do line bonding over the two 3G connections. (And the ADSL connection when it is finally set up.) I have ordered a RB 2011UiAS-RM which will be our main router for our house. I am hoping that I can use the USB port to tether both phones and not have to resort to getting two Wifi adapters, but either way will be able to get both connections into the router. I have also ordered a RB 951G-2HnD which will be in our friend's house for the experiment. (May co-locate a RB 750 in a data centre if this works well.) What I would like is to perform line bonding over multiple connections between the two routers. On the remote side the Virgin connection will be shared by the NAT firewall. It is important that the remote router is pretty much transparent for my friend and has no impact on his usage.

Networking is a hobby, but I have not been formally trained. Added to the fact that I have no practical experience with Router OS, I have to say I'm a little unsure where to start. Would anybody be willing to give me some advice or a head start on the configuration I need for this set-up ?

Thanks,
-Andrew.

yngndrw
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Line-bonding over 3G connections

Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:29 am

Here is a diagram of my proposed set-up:

deejayq
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:37 pm

first of all, 3G=7,2 Mbps but two bonded won't make 14,4 Mbps (usually about 70-80% of that)
you then have to take into account that your download speed is dependent of the upload of the Virgin friend because the information is downloaded in his RB and then has to be uploaded to you via bonded links (the same applies to your upload too).
So if he has 2Mbps upload then you will only get 2Mbps (minus ack traffic), even though you have let's say 10Mbps.
And what about your friends upload (maybe he's trying to attach a file to an e-mail etc), that means your download will decrease even more.

if you can give me the details about his bandwidth dl/ul maybe i can give you some more information

yngndrw
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:23 pm

That's a good point about his upload bandwidth as I'd forgotten all about that. Currently he only has the 30 meg package so that should be 3 meg upload - Even upgrading to the largest 120 meg package only gives 12 meg upload so that does limit things. I think using his connection will have to just be a test and I'll have to co-locate a router in a data centre if it works well - I'll probably limit both 3G connections to 1 meg for the purposes of this test so that I can see if it is working correctly or not.