Community discussions

MikroTik App

dfine
just joined
Topic Author

DNS problem: static entries don't work from client

Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:52 pm

Seems such a simple question or problem, but I can't get it right for a few days and have been browsing for solutions with no result so far.

Problem:
I have inserted a static DNS entry to access my NAS which is located on the LAN. I can't ping the NAS name from client but IP works fine. I CAN ping and resolve the NAS name on the mikrotik terminal (RB751U-2HnD, ROS 6.5).

NSLookup from client
nslookup nasgear
Server:  UnKnown
Address:  192.168.99.1

Non-Authoritative answer:
Name:    nasgear
Address:  192.168.150.5
Client get its network settings by DHCP from the Mikrotik. I have double-checked the settings and look fine to me. If required, I can post it here. Browsing on the internet works fine btw.

Thx.

CTrain
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: DNS problem: static entries don't work from client

Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:30 pm

In Winbox under IP -> DNS ensure that Allow Remote Request Box is checked, that should be the first step. Then under IP -> DHCP Server -> Networks and the configurations that the DNS server is set to the IP of the router board, also specify a Domain suffix (eg Home.local). Then enter in your DNS entry eg nasgear.home.local

Refresh the client network to ensure correct DHCP information and then run cmd followed by "nslookup nasgear".

The DNS suffix will be automatically added by your computer when no DNS suffix is specified and stops your computer from querying actual websites such as nasgear.com

Let Me Know if more assistance is required.

Regards,

dfine
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:57 am

Thanks for the info. I have tried those settings and still not working. "Allow remote requests" and IP of routerboard as DNS server in DHCP Server -> Networks was already set before, except for the domain suffix. But it didn't succeed...

It's weird, because I can resolve the static DNS entries in a terminal to the Mikrotik, but it doesn't work from a client (Client has the Mikrotik as the only DNS Server).

Or is it perhaps the firewall which is blocking DNS requests? I haven't set any firewall rules, except from default settings...

efaden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:54 am

Post your export

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

dfine
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:47 am

Post your export

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
What would you like me to export?

pcunite
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:44 pm

What would you like me to export?
Run /export compact file=myFile then go to the /file menu and post it here between the ROS tags.

CTrain
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:16 am

dfine

The DHCP client configurations will need to be updated by restarting the client computer. Also for a windows computer to accept a dns name it needs to be a fully qualified domain name i.e ( nasgear.home.local), the dns suffix is to ensure that you will be only required to type nasgear for the computers on the same dns suffix.

CTrain
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:16 am

dfine

The DHCP client configurations will need to be updated by restarting the client computer. Also for a windows computer to accept a dns name it needs to be a fully qualified domain name i.e ( nasgear.home.local), the dns suffix is to ensure that you will be only required to type nasgear for the computers on the same dns suffix.

dfine
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:41 am

I did some further testing and apparently I could contact the nasgear / NAS by name from my ipad, so resolving DNS do work from a client.

The domain suffix was already set as suggested by CTrain (e.g. home.local) but resolving dns names didn't work cause I set the static names wrong (just the computername e.g. nasgear). The solution was to set the static DNS name with the domain suffix (e.g. nasgear.home.local).

So thank you for helping me out... :)